Interstellar Space: Genesis

Started by solops, November 07, 2017, 10:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

ISG Alpha-2 was just posted. I have not downloaded or played yet. From the notes:

"We're now releasing Alpha 2 to all of our backers! And, we're pleased to announce that the game is now feature complete. This means that all the gameplay and AI are in now.

Since the last release in December of 2018, we resolved many issues and implemented many changes according to your numerous suggestions for improvement and bug reports. Then, we proceeded to finish the AI and all the gameplay, which included adding the new playable races, events, leaders, ship modules and the many other features you can see below.

We're now in the "polish phase" in our road to Beta and the full release. We're currently finalizing the in-game tutorial and we're working on the final 2D and 3D assets, including cutscenes. The plan is to enter Beta after all the assets are in and we finish playtesting Alpha 2."
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

How about posting YOUR impressions?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

This game releases on July 25. I have not played the last couple of released betas.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

DennisS

I just finished watching a youtube video on this..and them promptly took it off my wishlist. Looks very samey to several variants of games that I have...games that are more complex, and appear to do the 4x thing better.

solops

I have been giving this game a more thorough look in its current iteration (1.04) and so far it is pretty good. If you are a space game aficionado the game can be played immediately. I would compare it most closely to Stars in Shadow (which I like), but it looks and feels better to me. I am still early in the game and have fought no battles, but the UI and the systems for planetary management and research are well done and very familiar. There does not look to be a whole lot of new stuff here (no big surprises), but a lot of the stuff I like from older games plus a twist or three all packaged up together in a pretty slick and professional way. The mid-late game stretch, battles and the AI are all out ahead of me, so there may be bumps ahead. There are already some things I think I may want, such as an option to slow down R&D for the game. Kinda hard to tell since I have barely played a hundred turns. It is definitely a more-or-less finished product (that may need tweaking?) and I am sure improvements can be made and DLCs will make the game better.

Martok

I really have to get more time into this one.  Pretty much everything I've read/heard so far has been positive. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mbar

I am normally all over 4x "in spaaaaaace" and I was surely rooting for Adam Solo when he announced he was making a space game. It just doesn't seem to be speaking to me for some reason.

solops

I have been playing steady for a week now. I like it. There are some things that need adding (more customization in the game creation for one) and some optimization. My biggest problem is that it is too much like MOO2, although I have to admit that the Dev has several very non-MOO innovations that are all very good. Plus Adam knows the game is no perfect and seems eager to improve it pending feedback from players.

Martok

Quote from: solops on September 10, 2019, 09:37:43 AM
My biggest problem is that it is too much like MOO2
...Which is ironic on a couple levels, given that: 

1.) MOO2 is precisely the game the devs were trying to emulate.  So did they do too good a job?  :D 

2.) When Adam announced they were making a spiritual successor to MOO2, all I could think was, "Oh lord, here we go again."  ::)  To explain... 

I do not share the love/nostalgia for that game that so many others do, and was heartily sick to death of 4x developers repeatedly saying they were working on "spiritual successors to MOO2".  (Seriously, I think people's views of the game are a little rose-colored.)  So when Praxis Games announced the same thing when developing ISG, I immediately wrote the game off as a lost cause. 

It was only much later -- just in the last 6-12 months, in fact -- that I ended up giving ISG a second look, thanks to a fair amount of positive feedback on both the Explorminate forums and ISG's internal forums (I was invited years ago to be a beta-tester, although I rarely participated).  I started playing the alpha/beta a bit more, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. 

While I never could truly get into MOO2, I *can* see myself possibly getting into ISG.  I may yet be forced to admit that perhaps "spiritual successors" aren't such a bad thing after all...  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

^I agree wholeheartedly with your MOO2 sentiment. While I loved the game in its time and sank 100s of hours into it, it is not a 4x that would hold my interests today. I crave far greater depth and challenge in my 4x gaming these days and so, I also shrug when someone makes the claim to be building its spiritual successor.

I would much rather see someone build a game inspired from MOO3, which as I've posted in the past, was, in my opinion, one of the greatest space 4x games ever made, at least in design and concept.

The official page for moo3 is still maintained and some of the developers notes and comments are available.

https://moo3.quicksilver.com/official/index.html
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 11, 2019, 04:40:29 AM
I would much rather see someone build a game inspired from MOO3, which as I've posted in the past, was, in my opinion, one of the greatest space 4x games ever made, at least in design and concept.

The official page for moo3 is still maintained and some of the developers notes and comments are available.

https://moo3.quicksilver.com/official/index.html
I am with you. One of the greatest endeavour in 4x gaming and it would deserve a sequel.

FarAway Sooner

I'm still waiting for someone to release the spiritual successor to Pong.

Emir Agic

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 11, 2019, 04:40:29 AM

I've noticed you said that earlier and that you play heavily modded MOO3. Judging by reviews from time of release, main problem with MOO3 is added complexity which AI cannot handle appropriately. I would appreciate to hear you opinion about state of AI and if there any essential mod(s) which alleviate that shortcoming. Thanks in advance. 

MC

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 11, 2019, 08:04:52 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to release the spiritual successor to Pong.

Pong! HD  :bd: