NOW I'M OUT TO GET HIM! -- DC1:Blitz JRP vs Barthheart [Completed]

Started by JasonPratt, March 19, 2017, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Note: if you want to skip past a rather extended set of preliminaries, click here for Episode Zero.

....whiccchhhh come to think of it is also an extended set of preliminaries. Just different. But you can scroll down to Ep 1 easily enough from there.

In the grand tradition of being defeated by Barthheart, I hearby reserve this thread for the forthcoming AAR of our fight on Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris -- which if past history serves any indication, won't get past Warsaw. Or to Warsaw.

That's because this time I'm the blitzer. So if I win, yay I win! -- if I lose, yay the Nazis lose!

In story tropes, this is called a Xanatos Gambit.  >:D

I just sent Turn 1 to Barth (Germany with the strategic initiative gets to go first. And set up the game, actually.) So forward progress has been occurred! ...sort of. In places. My personal belief is that the Germans spread things out waaaayyy too far, but whatev. They did win after all.

Against an opponent who, unlike Barth, drastically underestimated how modern mobile warfare works.

And who, unlike Barth, won't be looking for ways to counter-blitz me if he can manage it...  :hide:

GO POLES!  :bd:

Edited to add: Barth's thread: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19134.msg509387#msg509387
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 19, 2017, 03:04:42 PM

GO POLES!  :bd:

Subscribed! I like this Xanatos Gambit of yours, and in the process of witnessing you winning, I will not only cheer the valiant Poles but give a few applauses to any Heer unit displaying exemplary valour and gallantry.  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Hmmmm.... DC1 has been officially updated to 1.60...

QuoteDecisive Campaigns: From Warsaw to Paris has been updated to version 1.60!

You can download the patch from here

1.60 Changelog:

- Big update of the core code base of Warsaw To Paris fixing loads of minor issues and glitches

- Minimalist Counter option added

- Regime Coloring option added

- In-game resolution changes added

- Possibility for windowed play added through windows.txt config file

- High Speed map scrolling option added

- New variant of Poland 1939 scenario sporting a Hybrid AI (dc2/dc3) to provide you with a new opponent that plays differently than what you where used too!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4256640&mpage=1&#4256640

Do you want to re-start or keep going?

JasonPratt

I don't think it affects play, or breaks save. I saw the update go live on my Surface yesterday (although I'm not doing anything on it, just installed it for easy reference access at work if necessary ;) ); expected to see an update on my home computer, but either I just clicked past it without paying attention or it didn't upgrade. I'll make sure the thing is upped before playing Turn 2, though.

I hope one of the minor glitch fixes is consolidating whether turns should be called rounds or turns.  L:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Barthheart

Umm... these updates usually do break saves.... and most of the time when they don't, the effects of the update don't work into the save as all the game data is in the save file.

So if you have already updated it will probably break our game in some way....

I have not updated.. am waiting on your status....

JasonPratt

Well, either I played the turn on 1.5+ and that's the save and you'll be able to tell by trying whether the new version breaks the save somehow, or I (somehow not likely) played it on the new 1.6 in which case there's no problem.

Still, I saved a video of what I did to make the AAR from (which I'm already working on), so I can try to reproduce things exactly as possible -- naturally I discovered where several of your starting units were hidden, although I was careful not to run into any (verrrry carefully checking the scout reports about recon thresholds on hexes before moving anywhere, and leapfrogging along that way.) The combat results will vary somewhat, which will also vary subsequent movements somewhat. The main thing will be to make sure I don't alter my moves based on recollections of recon results. Most notably I should make sure to send air recon out along the same lines to the same places so that I don't, in effect, save scum to get more recon results.

Sir Slash

Odd that they pick NOW of all times to update. Do you think they're trying to sabotage us?  ^-^  Maybe keeping all of DC 1's secret strategy to themselves? To later sell us a new Strategy Guide of some kind for a bunch of cash? Could be Matrix is afraid of how good the Grogs really are.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

We knew the update was coming -- I should have just waited until 1.6 was live. To be honest, I totally forgot in my eagerness to get going this weekend after longer-than-expected delays in starting.

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2017, 10:35:09 AM
Well, either I played the turn on 1.5+ and that's the save and you'll be able to tell by trying whether the new version breaks the save somehow, or I (somehow not likely) played it on the new 1.6 in which case there's no problem.

Still, I saved a video of what I did to make the AAR from (which I'm already working on), so I can try to reproduce things exactly as possible -- naturally I discovered where several of your starting units were hidden, although I was careful not to run into any (verrrry carefully checking the scout reports about recon thresholds on hexes before moving anywhere, and leapfrogging along that way.) The combat results will vary somewhat, which will also vary subsequent movements somewhat. The main thing will be to make sure I don't alter my moves based on recollections of recon results. Most notably I should make sure to send air recon out along the same lines to the same places so that I don't, in effect, save scum to get more recon results.

So.. I'm still confused.. have you updated? I have not. If you played at 1.5x and have now updated I think we're screwed.  If not, don't update and we should be fine.

JasonPratt

I'm at work; I don't recall if my home computer has updated, and I can't check yet to verify. I don't know why it WOULDN'T have updated. My work computer did update automatically on Steam yesterday, but the update could have gone live sometime over the weekend. If it was Saturday, I played the turn on 1.6 Sunday. If it was Sunday morning I most likely played the turn on 1.6. If it was anytime after lunch local time Sunday, I played the turn on 1.5+.

The Matrix forum post suggests the update went live Monday sometime, although I'm at least half sure my Surface at the office updated Monday morning at boot.

It occurs to me that the feature list should clarify what I was playing on! I know I never saw any way in-game to change the resolution. Also, booting it up on my Surface, I now see two optional AI upgrades for playing the Poland scenario; one for DC2 and one for a hybrid DC2/DC3. The one at home never had anything but the DC2 option on that screen.

So I can confirm, I played my turn on 1.5ish, not 1.6.

JasonPratt

Annnd, since the new patch/update fixes a few presentation options (hotkeys now work for toggling views off and on; some buttons on the main UI now work for giving more hex info; I can toggle whether Poland control areas are colored in which will give me more visual flexibility on presenting information), I think I'll just re-create my turn as close as possible and resend. That'll add another day-ish, probably, to the turnaround, but the AAR will look better. I'll use my video for reference (while capturing a new video for reference!  :D) to make sure I spend my activation points as closely as possible to my original turn.

Barthheart

So... I'm waiting for a new file from you and we will play at 1.60... correct?  ???  :D

JasonPratt

Yes.

The AAR should make it obvious that I'm not polishing off the rough edges when, uh, polishing off the Polish.  :D

JasonPratt

Incidentally, I have recreated my first turn (with minor differences based on different dice rolls and some misclicks  :pullhair:), sent to Barth, and he has played his first turn and sent back now. Will be playing Turn 2 tonight. AAR production is proceeding, but I'm not ready to post yet.