Decades Feeder Bracket - 1994 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, August 20, 2017, 02:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

1994 was the first year of the 90's that I enjoyed doing the research for.  It seemed like the death of glam metal, served to it by grunge in the early 90's, produced some great songs, but, an uneven amount and consistency.  That's why 1994 was so much fun.  Because it seemed as if a bunch of great albums and a host of one or two hit wonders just exploded onto the radio.  Maybe not the radio you listened to, but, certainly what I was digging at the time.  And I will freely admit, that each of these Brackets is influenced by my bias and that skews the selections to begin with, but, this is truly a great year for some great songs.

As always, I want to thank each of you for participating in these endeavors with me.  It's fun to see how they turn out.  Thank you for voting and have at!!

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

trailrunner

Glad to see the Toadies on here.  I really liked them (and still do).

ETA: There are some other great songs in the bracket this year!

jamus34

94 is where I started peaking as far as music is concerned. First job as a dishwasher in a restaurant saw me spend untold hours with racks of dishes, radio turned to the local modern rock station and people leaving me the f alone as dishwashers are usually viewed as lepers in the food service industry.
Insert witty comment here.

Staggerwing

Quote from: trailrunner on August 20, 2017, 02:16:04 PM
Glad to see the Toadies on here.  I really liked them (and still do).

ETA: There are some other great songs in the bracket this year!

I was just listening to them a few days ago, on Amazon/Prime Music. I really only knew them from Possum Kingdom but was surprised to hear a bunch of good tunes, including a more acoustic-sounding version of the aforementioned.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

This was an easy list, except for the first pair.

Tuna

lol... I guess I wasn't around in 94.. don't really know hardly any of the songs on this list!

MetalDog

Then I am glad to have provided videos of them for your learning pleasure ;)

bayonetbrant

these were actually all pretty easy for me, even though I get why all the songs are there.  In most of these pairings there's one I clearly like more than the others.

The only real edit I might've suggested is that there are better options for STP tunes for this year.

And you managed to leave off both Hootie and Counting Crowes from their debut years when they both exploded.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I had Rain King in '93 as that was the year the album was released.  That you don't like a song I selected shocks absolutely noone.  Thanks for your input.

mirth

I come for the voting, but I stay for the bitching.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 05:59:51 AMI had Rain King in '93 as that was the year the album was released.

yeah, but you've Sheryl Crow in this year's bracket even though Tuesday Night Music Club was released in '93 :)

Quote from: mirth on August 21, 2017, 06:18:48 AMI come for the voting, but I stay for the bitching.

I wasn't bitching.  I was offering well-informed commentary.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 21, 2017, 06:30:38 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 21, 2017, 06:18:48 AMI come for the voting, but I stay for the bitching.

I was referring to both of you bitches.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on August 21, 2017, 07:18:08 AM

I was referring to both of you bitches.

Just for that, I am including Rush in every Bracket  :bd:

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 05:59:51 AMI had Rain King in '93 as that was the year the album was released.

yeah, but you've Sheryl Crow in this year's bracket even though Tuesday Night Music Club was released in '93 :)

And the single was released in '94.  Any time you want to come up with your own Bracket and rules, you're welcome.  It's a three or four hour time commitment every week.  So, be prepared.

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 07:54:42 AM
And the single was released in '94.  Any time you want to come up with your own Bracket and rules, you're welcome.  It's a three or four hour time commitment every week.  So, be prepared.

With that kind of time investment, you'd think there'd be better songs :P

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on August 21, 2017, 07:58:09 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 07:54:42 AM

With that kind of time investment, you'd think there'd be better songs :P

Talking to the wrong guy.  Get in your way back machine and grump at the artists to do better.