Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

I have high hopes for it. "IF" it delivers, it will be a fresh approach to 4x space.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Philippe

I've looked at a few of the sales videos, and they look very nice.

On closer inspection, I suspect that combat is taking place on a two-dimensional plane on a tactical map, and the same goes for the strategic map of the galaxy as well.

For me, at least, this is a big deal, because the thing about outer space is that it is three dimensional and there is no up or down.  That means that the tactics that you use have to be completely different from just pushing checkers around on a cherckerboard.

I remember my amusement when playing Freelancer a few years ago when I discovered that my path to somewhere my character had to go was blocked by a minefield.  I simply skirted the edge by flying 'up', and then flew back 'down' the other side.  A Maginot line of defensive towers in space was even more ludicrous.  Space has no gravity and three dimensions, which means there are several more ways for flying around something.

The strategic map looks pretty two-dimensional.  It's not as serious a distortion to have a 2D strategic map as it is to have a 2D tactical map, but if you think about it, in a 3D galaxy the borders of clumps of territory may be distinct, but there will be some apparent overlap if every star system isn't laid out on a perfectly flat plane.

Apart from that, what I've seen looks like a big improvement over the old Stardock Galactic Civilization games.  No cute space hamsters, and relatively convincing looking star systems.  I wish planets weren't circling their star in perfectly circular orbits, and I hope the planets actually orbit their star rather than stay fixed in place.

My rule of thumb on major new Paradox releases is that it takes six to eighteen months to shake the bigger bugs out.  This game is a bit of a departure from what they're familiar with, so I'm guessing that it will fall at the long end of that range.   
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Queeg

Quote from: Philippe on May 05, 2016, 11:25:13 AM
My rule of thumb on major new Paradox releases is that it takes six to eighteen months to shake the bigger bugs out.  This game is a bit of a departure from what they're familiar with, so I'm guessing that it will fall at the long end of that range.

Agreed.  I fear the excitement to reality ratio for this one is badly skewed.  I sense an imminent disturbance in the Force. 

sandman2575

Well, I for one remain blithely (not to say, blindly) optimistic. I feel completely confident that Pdox is going to knock this one out of the park, and ditto for HoI4. Watching Quill's videos, I'd probably happily give up half the games in my Steam library to be able to play Stellaris right now.  (Granted, there's a fair bit of garbage in my Steam library...)

I also think the "Pdox games launch in a buggy state and take months of patching to iron out" is an outdated perception. That was true back in 2009. No longer holds today.

Huw the Poo

I'm with Sandman.  I don't know how much more quality gaming Paradox has to churn out before people realise they've changed a lot since the earlier days.  I have absolutely no reason to doubt them on this one.  Just look at all the videos that are already out there...the game looks incredible.  There might be some design decisions worth arguing about (as there always are with every game ever) but I think the actual quality will be phenomenal.

Jarhead0331

I'm still miffed over a Monday release. Why the hell not Friday!?!?!  :knuppel2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 04:36:15 PM
I'm still miffed over a Monday release. Why the hell not Friday!?!?!  :knuppel2:

+1000  :tickedoff:

Huw the Poo

I think we can all agree on that one!  Apparently the build being played by the Chosen Few is 1.0.0.  It's ready - just release it you bastards!!!

ghostryder

Indeed. Ever since Victoria II onward the games have been relatively bug free aside from small balance issues and GUI tweaks--and the game's themselves so well designed to think this one is a stinker is being blind to the last few years of releases.  Paradox found their Mojo and have been going strong for a long time now. This game could be the next CK2 hit---rewriting what a 4x game should be. Death to Hampsters in Spacesuits! :knuppel2:

Nefaro

They didn't want to work over the weekend, fixing up the usual hardware conflicts not found in testing.

Just my guess.  :D

Quote from: Queeg on May 05, 2016, 03:11:39 PM
Quote from: Philippe on May 05, 2016, 11:25:13 AM

Agreed.  I fear the excitement to reality ratio for this one is badly skewed.  I sense an imminent disturbance in the Force. 

I'm sure it will require post-release patches, just like every game does these days.  But the hordes of LP vids show Stellaris to be relatively low on bugs compared to most other new releases, and I've noticed nothing anywhere near game breaking.

Their long campaign in-house LP convinced me to pre-order because, after watching sizable chunks of it, I didn't notice much screwiness.  Looks to be up to good quality standard before release.  Certainly takes a lot of confidence to play hours of uninterrupted pre-release gameplay and, overall, it worked quite well.

Of course, being Paradox, There Will Be DLC.   I already foresee some playable Robotic/Android racial mix being added.  More NPC factions/encounters/quests, along with a slew of Event and mechanic additions just like CK2 & EU4.

Pete Dero

Silent Disapproval Robot

Monday is my Friday so this works for me!

Pete Dero

Latest rumor (mentioned on the streams) is a late afternoon / evening release in Europe (so the US should have some daytime left at releasetime).

Huw the Poo

Yeah I'm guessing 18:00 UK time as that seems to be the norm.

sandman2575

Does anyone else think that Scott Manley and Gopher (of Skyrim / Fallout / Witcher etc. LP fame) are secretly the same guy?

No? Just me?   OK then....

(They're both terrific actually -- really enjoy their vids)