Star Traders: Frontiers

Started by spelk, January 10, 2018, 06:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: airboy on August 22, 2018, 07:50:28 AM
When you start the game in the upper right hand corner is a web link to the wiki for the game and the backstory.

I've attached a screenshot.

That makes it easy, thanks!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Well, the lore behind this game is certainly very interesting, but I'm not entirely sold on the actual gameplay yet. I think the universe is large, with lots of locations to visit, the economy is interesting and crew management is pretty complex. However, everything that drives these systems seems to be exceptionally repetitive. Encounters in space and ship combat are very repetitive and if I'm traveling a long distance across several jump points, the frequent interruptions are eye-rolling. It all just gets very monotonous. Same with landing on planets or docking at ports. Subject to rank, level, reputation, etc. it's much the same.

Maybe I'm still too early? I only have about 3 to 4 hours, if that. It does have that just one more turn quality, but I can see it wearing thin at present. I certainly don't share airboys glowing opinion yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

Star Traders is an RPG trading game - a really good RPG trading game.  If you are successful, you have the cash (or take the missions) to become a licensed trader for every faction.  After that, the interruptions are very brief with an acknowledgement and you are on your way.

Both space and ground battles are stylized and turn based.  If you have a more experienced crew and officers, you have more options in space and ground combat.  But it remains sylized space and ground turn based combat.

It is an excellent turn-based, sandbox RPG trading game.  There are a couple of interesting meta-plots going on.  But trade is - repetitive.  You do the same types of deals on different planets to make a credit.

If you like this type of game, it is a very good game with a lot of depth.  If a trading game is not something that holds a lot of interest for you - you will not care for this game.

I think this captures both what Jarhead is saying and my earlier comments.  I might write a review because for some grogs this is an awesome game and for others it will be repetitive and boring.  I've played a total of 49 hours and it totally hooked me for a week.

Jarhead0331

I like trading games, but usually when there is more of a management component, like setting up bases and networks, buying and selling transport ships, organizing commodities, etc. In Star traders it's just you, your crew and your ship. You buy products in one place and sell them someplace else and everything that happens inbetween gets repetitive very quickly.

Sounds like we're just playing two separate games, LoL. I just don't see it being the "best" anything yet. Definitely worth a look though, even if you have a passing interest in the genre.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

airboy

I wrote "best" when I was in my two day "just one more turn" frenzy.  I think it is very good for what it does.  I concur that it is probably not "best" as a trading game.  Very good for certain things, but less so than others in different things.

Probably worth a review.  This is one of those games that probably has a very high appeal to some, some appeal to others, and is an "avoid" for the rest.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on August 25, 2018, 08:59:12 AM

Probably worth a review.  This is one of those games that probably has a very high appeal to some, some appeal to others, and is an "avoid" for the rest.

I think you absolutely should do the review. I look forward to reading it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

I only have 7 hours in the game so far which is not really enough for a firm opinion.  I've certainly had fun with it and will more than get my moneys worth out of it as I play more.

@Jarhead - You could check out Interstellar Transport Company for a game that sounds more like what you are looking for with fleets, bases, and such.  I don't even have 5 hours in this one so it's not a recommendation from me yet, but it sounds more like what you want.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573490/

QuoteABOUT THIS GAME
Build a galactic transportation empire! Help colonize the galaxy and dominate the competition in single player and online multiplayer. Use your business cunning to take your fledgling company from humble beginnings on Earth and it's neighboring planets and moons to the far reaches of the Galaxy. Buy ships, manage routes, conduct trade deals, build infrastructure, colonize new worlds, invest in local industry; All set in a procedurally generated galaxy with challenging AI, and Online Multiplayer. You will have a new experience every time you play.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on August 25, 2018, 09:55:00 AM
I only have 7 hours in the game so far which is not really enough for a firm opinion.  I've certainly had fun with it and will more than get my moneys worth out of it as I play more.

@Jarhead - You could check out Interstellar Transport Company for a game that sounds more like what you are looking for with fleets, bases, and such.  I don't even have 5 hours in this one so it's not a recommendation from me yet, but it sounds more like what you want.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573490/

QuoteABOUT THIS GAME
Build a galactic transportation empire! Help colonize the galaxy and dominate the competition in single player and online multiplayer. Use your business cunning to take your fledgling company from humble beginnings on Earth and it's neighboring planets and moons to the far reaches of the Galaxy. Buy ships, manage routes, conduct trade deals, build infrastructure, colonize new worlds, invest in local industry; All set in a procedurally generated galaxy with challenging AI, and Online Multiplayer. You will have a new experience every time you play.

I've had it since EA. Very good game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Put some time into this one, and in the end I think this one is going on the shelf.  It started off very well, however with the bland combat, and lack of real ship differentiation when purchasing, and the component and weapon upgrades uninteresting....  it just falls short after some real investment into the game.  Trade is pretty boring and it gets real repetitive.  The story was interesting, however the jumps, constant interdiction with random ships, the inconsistent missions etc... it just became too much for me in the end.  I think they have a good base to the game, however in the end there is just not enough staying power, maybe in the next version.  Time to warp out of this one.