Total War: Three Kingdoms

Started by Nefaro, January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I've been playing a TW:3K campaign in "Records" mode;  the one without the superhero 1v1 style generals.

The campaign side of it is quite expanded.  I'm really enjoying the new campaign mechanics.  The style of play has changed from constant city capture to a slower, more deliberate, pace.  Between the time it takes to muster new troops, juggling your generals and their entourages, and a tighter economy with which to buy things turn-to-turn, your early game forces are more limited than most previous TWs and recover more slowly after battle.  This is a good thing because you (and especially the AI) just can't go pop out a fresh new army in 2 or 3 turns after getting wiped.

Instead of a constant cycle of city capture every few turns, I find myself having to plan ahead more carefully.  This also lends more weight to the outcomes of individual battles.  Slaughter someone's army, and they will be recovering for a longer time.  I like it.

The real-time battles aren't anything special.  You'll be quite familiar with them, much like other TWs.  My complaint, here, is that the troop variety is low.  Especially compared to something like Rome 2, or even Attila.  Some are faction specific, and a few can be unlocked in the research tree, but you'll mostly be seeing the same few units in all factions.  I suppose there was only so much to work with in the setting, so I'll let that slide even though one of my favorite things about gaming ancient warfare, and TW by extension, is the variety of troop types and the combined arms tactics of their use.

I had also recently picked up TW:Britannia on a sale.  For some reason, Britannia just hasn't grabbed me yet.  Despite some of it's innovations.  I'll revisit in time, but TW:3K has pulled me in more thoroughly.  It's campaign features have been a joy thus far, and are more challenging than previous titles. 

There's more of a learning curve for 3K's campaign, so those of you who don't like reading game mechanic info & tooltips take heed.  :nerd:

Jarhead0331

I agree with Nefaro's thoughts on the campaign mechanics...definitely expanded and it feels much deeper and with era/region specific flavor. The UI is completely redesigned and I think this is half of what makes the learning curve steeper, especially for seasoned Total War vets...three kingdoms feels very different.

One of the things I'm struggling with is that I feel like I'm fighting personalities, not factions per se and the names of individuals are so foreign, its hard for me to keep straight who is who. Who is a friend, or potential ally and who is an enemy, and I haven't found anything in the UI that makes this very obvious or jump out at me yet. In this regard, Three Kingdoms is also very different from other TW titles. Instead of focusing my strategy to fight the Carthaginians, or the Germanic tribes, I'm dealing with Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong...huh? Until I get more comfortable with the source material, I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill them all and let God sort them out... >:D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GibbyG

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 25, 2019, 08:54:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2019, 08:11:33 PM
Ah this thread is beginning to smell like TW threads of old.

At least it doesn't smell like team spirit.

Or even Teen Spirit

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 26, 2019, 12:32:22 PM
I agree with Nefaro's thoughts on the campaign mechanics...definitely expanded and it feels much deeper and with era/region specific flavor. The UI is completely redesigned and I think this is half of what makes the learning curve steeper, especially for seasoned Total War vets...three kingdoms feels very different.

One of the things I'm struggling with is that I feel like I'm fighting personalities, not factions per se and the names of individuals are so foreign, its hard for me to keep straight who is who. Who is a friend, or potential ally and who is an enemy, and I haven't found anything in the UI that makes this very obvious or jump out at me yet. In this regard, Three Kingdoms is also very different from other TW titles. Instead of focusing my strategy to fight the Carthaginians, or the Germanic tribes, I'm dealing with Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong...huh? Until I get more comfortable with the source material, I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill them all and let God sort them out... >:D

It could definitely use more UI indicators regarding character animosities & friendships.  Most notably in the event pop-up windows pertaining to them.   

Oh, so Dong and Jian suddenly had a spat and had a falling out?  Then show us the damn details in the pop-up too, instead of having to find one of the characters in question and dig down deep into the UI!  Sure, there is a tab on the character details in which you can get some basic info for it, but what a pain to get there manually.

On the other hand it is rather interesting, needing to keep your generals who dislike each other out of the same armies & such.  I'm not yet sure whether that might drive one or both of them to turn on you, or defect to another faction, but I'm guessing that's part of the mechanic.

jomni

jomni

Just started playing the Sun family. The diplomacy balancing act is quite involved. But I have ignored it for the first several years. :P Anyway, I'll just go to war with all of them then. Haha. Lost a string of battles. :(

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on June 02, 2019, 12:31:20 PM
^Enjoying it?

Still don't know. Though the key to romance mode is bringing the best generals I guess.
Strategic game should be played slowly. Armies also travel so slow... making interception of invading armies difficult. Army size and count are very limited.

Gusington

Hmm thanks...interested in your opinion as you get further.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

One thing I have to see is if disbanding when not campaigning helps. But mustering takes time too so it's also dangerous. Lack of stationed armies also reduced public order. It's really not your typical Total War game. With many borrowed concepts from Koei (RTK) and Paradox games (CK).

Sir Slash

This game sure does have more, 'attitude' than other TW titles. Every time I play it tries to give me the name, "Kow Dung".   :timeout:  Just kidding. $60 Is kind of steep for an untried, new game. Still, I've been crying for a TW game set in China so long, I feel bad about turning it down. Undecided.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 02, 2019, 10:23:07 PM
This game sure does have more, 'attitude' than other TW titles. Every time I play it tries to give me the name, "Kow Dung".   :timeout:  Just kidding. $60 Is kind of steep for an untried, new game. Still, I've been crying for a TW game set in China so long, I feel bad about turning it down. Undecided.

I got Hung Wel, Long Wang, and Enormous Genitals. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Hofstadter

Im really enjoying it, my only problem is the battle advisors, if you engage with an enemy, it says "your advisors say this will be a close victory" it straight up tell you you will win if you autoresolve, instead of running on a bet based on force balance.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Sir Slash

Damn SirAndrewD, That sounds like it would make riding a horse difficult. I'm thinking, 'Bang Yu Wang' would be bad too. Gotta say I love the look of this game-- graphics are great.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.