Total War: Three Kingdoms

Started by Nefaro, January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

My primary objection is the progressive dumbing down of the battle mechanics. Historical/Fantasy - fantasy is fine. Sure, include it. But make the historical reasonably historical or don't bother....and certainly don't sell it as "historical."
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 23, 2019, 02:57:07 PM
I take it back...I hope they never...EVER...release an Opium War or Boxer Rebellion DLC.
+1
Yeah, not interested in a bunch of guys fighting in tighty-whities.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Ok...but Total War isn't dumbing down. It has never been billed or advertised as being tactically historically authentic. It is loosely based on historical combat and strategy. It is not, nor has it ever been suggested that the series is striving for any level of serious fidelity. You either have to take or leave the series for what it is...not for what it is not.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Not entirely accurate. There was a lot of discussion about battle mechanics in the early TW1 days and improvements were made. Sometime in the Rome1+ timeframe they gave up and we started losing things like speed, turning and formation accuracy as well as some detailed control over the troop dispositions and formations. Maybe it was never "accurate" but they were making an effort. A lot of mods tried to fix this trend away from detailed mechanics.

solops

And I like Warhammer. I play a lot of it for good fun. I accept that it is a cheesy arcade game. I just want better, especially in historical stuff that used to be better.

Pete Dero

I guess this is only available in Europe

use code R/Totalwar for 25% off -> 42,74 €

https://www.voidu.com/en/total-war-three-kingdoms

Philippe

Since the Romance of the Three Kingdoms on which all of this is based is already a cross between fantasy literature and historical novel (albeit a very old one), Creative Labs' slightly trashy ahistorical approach seems entirely appropriate.  I plan to buy this game and thoroughly enjoy it about a year from now when the major bugs have been squashed and the price has come down a bit. 

In the meantime there's been an announcement that Oriental Empires will be coming out with a DLC covering the Three Kingdoms period later this summer. It takes them about six weeks to get the major bugs out of the system at this point, so I'll be using Oriental Empires to tide me over until I'm ready to buy Three Kingdoms.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Sir Slash

Maybe the many very talented modders will create a whole slew of China-Oriented campaigns from different periods of history.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Some cool moments.....my army was the attacker and advanced on the enemy position.  As I was approaching, the other army offered my commander a 1-1 duel.  I accepted and both leaders met in the middle of the field and had a movie moment of engaging each other.  My general was winning and then the enemy troops watching suddenly charged in to save their general.  Too late, I killed him and then massive battle ensued.

Whether historical or not, great fun and pretty cool.

Gusington

Ah this thread is beginning to smell like TW threads of old.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

....old nerdgasm smell?

:hide: :wow: :timeout:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

That and the back and forth on historicity[tm].

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

There can't possibly be any question or confusion about what you are getting with a TW game. Maybe the extent that fantasy plays a role, but not how realistic combat is. Anyone buying a TW game and being disappointed about enemy army composition, AI not reacting well to flanking, short battles or weird specialty units that didn't really exist only have themselves to blame. Mods will inevitably come out called "such-n-such's realistic combat, but the base game will exist. So if you want realistic combat, don't buy it and save the trouble.

Me, I like "medium" realism but eye candy...so a modded TW experience is usually fine
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2019, 08:11:33 PM
Ah this thread is beginning to smell like TW threads of old.

At least it doesn't smell like team spirit.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

You type that like it's a bad thing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd