Main Menu

Hi from Finland

Started by chakie, November 04, 2015, 05:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chakie

Hi,

I've been listening to the podcast since it was new and liked the informal take on board and digital games. There aren't that many places for strategy games out there so I decided to see what's going on here.

Personally I don't actually play that much strategy games, mostly due to lack of time and opponents. I prefer to play with humans and I only play digital games. My favorite games are the old Combat Mission games (CMBO, CMBB and CMAK). Not really got into the new ones due to lack of time. So many hundreds of hours were poured into those games wreaking havoc with Tigers or SMG squads. :)

I also develop a strategy game for the iPad. It's about 75% done and I've been working on it for almost 4 years in my spare time. It's a realtime 2D game with small units of up to 50 men. The time period is a hypothetical and somewhat steampunk 19th century, so you roam around with infantry lined up, cavalry and artillery. I've also added in some more modern touches with mortars, indirect fire, machine guns and similar. I'm quite happy with the technology and the engine, but I suck at making good AI. Currently working on the online server and at making scenarios. if anyone is interested in something like that please let me know, pre-alpha testing will be open to anyone who wants to have a go.

So, "hi" from me. :)

bbmike

Welcome to Grogheads, chakie!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Hi, and welcome!  You might find someone interested in playing the Combat Mission series with you around here :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Welcome, chakie!  Steampunk is something a few of our regulars really like.  Sounds like you may have an audience for your game.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

chakie

Quote from: MetalDog on November 04, 2015, 07:03:00 AM
Welcome, chakie!  Steampunk is something a few of our regulars really like.  Sounds like you may have an audience for your game.

Thanks! I mostly call it steampunk because it allows me some creative freedom when it comes to weapons. I like the way 19th century warfare still organized units on nice lines, but I also wanted to be able to mow said units down with a nice machine gun ambush or mortar barrage without upsetting history fanatics. :) My original setting was the Napoleonic era, but I'm not interested in making the game history perfect so that Waterloo would play out exactly as it did.

BanzaiCat

Welcome, chakie! It's always awesome to see people come by that have listened to the podcast.  O0

Sir Slash

Hello chakie. Welcome to the Grogs where right now everyone seems to be unusually behaved. That's usually the best time to run for the closest place of shelter. Maybe it's the Halloween Candy Hang-Over still in effect. The original CM was one of my all time favorites too but the newer version is better in my opinion-- saying "opinion" around here will wake them up for sure. You should give yourself some time to check it out. Try the demo and let us know what you think about it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison

Martok

Welcome aboard, chakie.  Good to see you here! 

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 04, 2015, 10:22:27 AM
where right now everyone seems to be unusually behaved.
That's only because Star has a woman keeping him in line at the moment, and mirth has temporarily sworn off bad decisions.  It'll pass. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

You listened to the podcast and actually came here?!

I mean...of COURSE you did...

;D

chakie

Heh, thank you for the warm welcome, quite unusual to see a nice forum on the Internet!

I really should get back to Combat Mission, it was such a fun game. I even got CM: Battle for Normandy, but never really started playing it as it ran so poorly on my Mac. Speaking of which, the Mac surely needs a few more strategy games, not just 5 year old ports.