Main Menu

March to Glory

Started by jomni, February 16, 2018, 06:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

From Shenandoah.  Probably a Napoleonic version of their previous games.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=710

Tpek

It's out on Steam.

Is anyone trying it out?

Does it have hotseat?

JasonPratt

I'm keeping an eye on it, but I need to cut back hard on my expenses for a while.  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 13, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I need to cut back hard on my expenses for a while.  :-\

I keep saying that too
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Review over at the Wargamer. Just saying.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

I would probably grab this if it was not IGOUGO and was WEGO. It looks nice and crisp with a clean interface unlike scourge of war. Which I might have to give another go but really need this kind of crispness to enjoy the game.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

I couldn't get into their prior game, Gettysburg: the Tide Turns at all. I don't remember why, but I refunded it pretty quickly.

This gives me some caution on waiting, too. But this does look more extensive.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pzrjager

There's a good article on this at RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/13/wot-i-think-march-to-glory/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

This really killed my interest:

QuoteThe "random map generator" mentioned on the Slitherine and Matrix Games pages, is actually nothing of the sort. It's simply a device that chooses at random one of the campaign clashes. It doesn't even have the decency to rearrange unit starting positions.

SirAndrewD

I can feel my loins drying with every review.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Johnnie

Despite that review, I am enjoying it.  Played Waterloo scenario twice.  First time on hard and lost. (Options are normal, hard and very hard, I thing hard is the default.) Second time I played on normal and won.  Both games were close run things (to coin a phrase) and fun.  First game took about an hour and a half when I gave up;  second game I won automatic victory after 10 of 20 turns.  Took about an hour or so.

Good simple and entertaining game and not totally ahistorical. Combat much more realistic than Victory and Glory, which I also like, but no "campaign"  ala Victory and Glory (which has several.)  March to Glory is more like a Civil War General with fewer and much larger units.  No, on second thought, more like Thin Red Line (the board game by Victory Games?)    The non-hex map, where the crowded units are unable to engage without others getting out of the way, seems to me more realistic for this era.  Especially for a battle like Waterloo, which took place on a battlefield about three miles wide.

Anyhow, I recommend it.  Provided you like Napoleonic battles that you can complete in an hour or two.  A real Random Battle Generator would be a great addition. 

Tuna

Quote from: Destraex on April 13, 2018, 05:27:38 PM
I would probably grab this if it was not IGOUGO and was WEGO. It looks nice and crisp with a clean interface unlike scourge of war. Which I might have to give another go but really need this kind of crispness to enjoy the game.

Waterloo Scourge is a lot of fun in MP. Ask Jason Pratt or Tactical Wargamer, we've had some fun matches!.. Though the time zone difference would be tough, as the games can go like 3 hours!

Pete Dero

thehistoricalgamer - 16 apr. 2018

In today's video I conduct my review and final thoughts on the new turn-based strategy game by Shenandoah Studios, March to Glory.  In today's review I discuss the shortcomings of this game and express my view that it really doesn't do anything all that compellingly.