Origins 2017 (June 14-18), Columbus OH

Started by bayonetbrant, June 24, 2016, 08:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I just registered.  I've got the full pass, access to the Board Room and 15 generic tokens.

What I do not have is a HOTEL ROOM!

The "official" Origins Hotels seem to be sold out. 

Anybody have any suggestions? 

I'm probably going to drive.  Its a 10 hour drive (approximately)  If I don't drive, I'll fly and rent a car.  I'm coming up on the 13th and departing (probably) on Monday.

I'll probably be playing a lot of RPGs and table-top stuff.  Hopefully, a lot of Call of Cthulhu and other things.

bbmike

I saw the generic tokens but didn't get any. What are they good for? Do I need them?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on February 24, 2017, 08:16:30 PMWhat I do not have is a HOTEL ROOM!

Check around here.  Close enough to stick around all day, but far enough that shouldn't be sold out.
https://goo.gl/maps/J1BCwE52Asv

It's a very easy shot down I70 to I670 and Exit 3 dumps you at the north end of the convention center.  It's maybe a 10 minute drive, max.

Quote from: bbmike on February 24, 2017, 08:34:33 PMI saw the generic tokens but didn't get any. What are they good for? Do I need them?

You need them to join scheduled events for which you don't already have a ticket.  You can buy them on-site if you decide to grab some.  You'll need them for most of the games we run, but you can also spend most of the weekend just playing demos in the exhibit hall plus whatever pickup games we have going along the way.  You won't lack for things to do if you don't jump into any scheduled events.  But the generics are useful to jump into the Mech pods, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Capn Darwin

The Hilton had rooms available last week. Other hotels may be holding blocks of rooms so check sites often. I was checking Hotels.com daily for a place. Hopefully, something will open up.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 24, 2017, 09:08:22 PM

Quote from: bbmike on February 24, 2017, 08:34:33 PMI saw the generic tokens but didn't get any. What are they good for? Do I need them?

You need them to join scheduled events for which you don't already have a ticket.  You can buy them on-site if you decide to grab some.  You'll need them for most of the games we run, but you can also spend most of the weekend just playing demos in the exhibit hall plus whatever pickup games we have going along the way.  You won't lack for things to do if you don't jump into any scheduled events.  But the generics are useful to jump into the Mech pods, too.

What about "ribbons"? Are any of those worth looking into?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on February 28, 2017, 06:38:08 AMWhat about "ribbons"? Are any of those worth looking into?

They're worth it if they are for a program where you'd otherwise use more tickets/tokens than the cost of the ribbon, so for most wargamers, it's unlikely. 

The Board Room ribbon is worth it for folks that are playing in the CABS Board Room most of the weekend and not just playing in open boardgaming somewhere, as it gives you access to their HUGE library of games, and often a variety of door prizes / raffle prizes.

The old War College ribbon was worth it for unlimited access to War College talks/events.  But the War College has been folded into the more general seminar program, in part b/c a bunch of their programs (like the Command Post Wargaming) is part of our stuff now.

I'm not sure what the other ribbons are, but the fact that I don't even know what they'd be for tells you how little I'm likely to need any of them.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bbmike on February 28, 2017, 06:38:08 AM

I think if you throw them at Mirth, he'll take his top off.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 28, 2017, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: bbmike on February 28, 2017, 06:38:08 AM

I think if you throw them at Mirth, he'll take his top off.

That'll probably happen without any ribbons.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah but this was you have an excuse ready when the authorities show up.

mirth

Good point. I don't really want to go to jail in Ohio.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on February 28, 2017, 04:05:10 PM
Good point. I don't really want to go to jail in Ohio for a third time.

Edited for clarity.

bbmike

Yeah, I'll just um...buy a few generic tokens.  :hide:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on February 28, 2017, 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 28, 2017, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 28, 2017, 04:05:10 PM
Good point. I don't really want to go to jail in Ohio for a third time.

Edited for clarity.

lol

Youd be safe. The convention center is in the Short North area, that kind of activity would be wwlcomed compared to the norm for there.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Just remember that Pride Parade is the same weekend again. Might be better to keep your top on, or Star will go apeshit when he sees the pecs hitting on you