Total War: Rome II THE RISE OF ROME dlc

Started by JasonPratt, August 04, 2018, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 21, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Thank you. So it is not my PC. Yours screenshot (although in darkness rather than light) also shows it looks like they are rag clad zombies at that range. They seriously look like they are missing parts due to the  the LOD simplifying them and turning them into 2D elements I suspect. The skirmishers at the front especially look like stick figures.

So true, but I think on the dusty plains of Etruria, an actual observer would have seen something much more like the Rome II image than the other two.  At 4-500 meters, people are likely to look pretty simplified.  Plus in the other two images, a lot more simplifications occur before the image is presented.  Rome II has hundreds of figures in each formation and the other two have around 10% of that.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 21, 2018, 10:27:29 PM
The guy with the blue shield looks VERY disappointed. Probably got there late and all the shields with the cool designs were already taken.  #:-)

I think the camera was moving faster than the program could draw something on all the shields.  You see a lot of visual weirdness when you buzz around with a camera (well -- even in reality ).  For example a spear coming right through a sheild (just plain clipping i guess).

Sir Slash

I love to zip around looking at the battle scenes in the TW games close-up but don't do it very often because so much can happen so quickly in the battles I might miss something important.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 22, 2018, 09:47:41 AM
I love to zip around looking at the battle scenes in the TW games close-up but don't do it very often because so much can happen so quickly in the battles I might miss something important.

For that particular screenshot -- it was a snowy day with rain falling (much better for colors than the sunlight of Rome II) AND the Enemy Etruscans had attacked my advanced guard that had just stormed a village.  I was expecting reinforcements so i had everybody (cavalry and skirmishers and archers and slingers) out delaying -- well the reinforcements never came (oddly enough) so I called in the delaying forces and got them behind the hoplites on the last ditch hill defense.  The enemy pushed right on in and I threw in the cavalry to brace what little defense there was and the enemy began to break.  I was expecting my side to break (so why not take a few screenshots?) so this shot is from the perspective of an enemy force that is about to start breaking.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 21, 2018, 10:21:05 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2018, 02:39:58 PM
Useful! It gets better!!

Tough times for Etruria:

And I switch to Rome and the Roman Hoplites get on a ship:

MengJiao

And Hobbits and Etruscans get ready to back off into the sunset:

JasonPratt

Next up in TW:Warhammer 3: HOPLITE HOBBITS!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on August 24, 2018, 08:04:19 AM
:'(

Yep, sadly, I'm leaving dusty Etruria for the Seven-Year's War.  And there is no Hobbit Hoplite mod for Total War Total War hammer yet.  However!  The Rome II Rise of the Republic DLC is still available!  So grab a shield, say good-bye to your Mom!  ("Bye Mom!"), strap on a spear and get out there!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: MengJiao on August 22, 2018, 07:50:36 AM
Quote from: Destraex on August 21, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Thank you. So it is not my PC. Yours screenshot (although in darkness rather than light) also shows it looks like they are rag clad zombies at that range. They seriously look like they are missing parts due to the  the LOD simplifying them and turning them into 2D elements I suspect. The skirmishers at the front especially look like stick figures.

So true, but I think on the dusty plains of Etruria, an actual observer would have seen something much more like the Rome II image than the other two.  At 4-500 meters, people are likely to look pretty simplified.  Plus in the other two images, a lot more simplifications occur before the image is presented.  Rome II has hundreds of figures in each formation and the other two have around 10% of that.

To me that does not look like 500m away. Maybe it's 200-300m across.

Hold hard neddy. Trying to find photos of the same distance that are taken in fairly good quality in good light.

See how they don't blend into the ground like total war figures do. They don't all go brown or black like the desert.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Hard to find good top down photos so I started looking at wargames tables. Which are at least on the same angle as total war.
Then I sort of gave up for now. Because reality is it is just hard to find photos of this stuff from the air.

Destraex

Maybe the Russians have some good pics.

Destraex