Hmm...

Started by BanzaiCat, May 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Hi guys ,

Thanks for the great welcome , on board what I suspect is a very male dominated arena !! Why I can almost smell the testosterone from here ...amongst other things !

Yep my gaming knowledge is limited , so thanks for steering me in the right direction here . I had no idea that D&D gamers held on to their stuff so fastidiously . But I'm here to learn , and hopefully contribute something that makes sense sometime soon :D

Although ....and this is going to sound crazy ....I'm not into war gaming per se .....don't lynch me yet please !! I am intrested in military history and strategy games . And I've been listening to the grog cast which seems to cover a lot of topics I am intrested in , Star Wars for example , and I just bought Istanbul after listening to one of those episodes , I know I'm a lesser gamer , ( mirth ,I think may have  said that !) but it made me feel comfortable enough to join the site and hang around , and throw my two pennies worth in every once in a while ! So if you don't mind me being in the hallowed ground of the forum ,  I'll ...err....dodge out of the way of the surly looking sullen body guard type guarding the gateway , sidle over to the edge of the arena ....camouflaged of course , in the latest army green , very fetching ...and watch on with great intrest , and no doubt much curiosity at the comings and goings on of you ....erm...gaming gladiators :)

Thanks again for making a newbie feel welcome :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Double Deuce

If you are just getting started, I would download the 5e free rules from WoTC first and go from there. My 16yo daughter runs a play by post game for some of her school friends, all girls, using 5e and they seem to like it. Most of them have never heard of it until my daughter brought it up. She's been playing since she was 8 and my 11yo son since he was 5. We mostly play just here at home to pass time during cold winter weather on weekends, kind of our family game nights.

MetalDog

Emeraldlis, welcome to the forums!  Very cool of you to listen to the podcasts.  Even cooler of you to think it was worth joining the forums after hearing us :)

And I have to say, Martok is spot on.  I don't know of any D&D gamers that willingly part with their stuff.  I still have all the stuff I've collected since I was 10.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

Thanks metal dog :)

The podcasts are great fun to listen to , you guys all seem to enjoy yourselves on there discussing your various gaming passions . Between you all ...and the cool editing with all the various sound clips , it manages to be a fantastic show every week . I haven't heard one I didn't like yet !

I like the fact that actual  different members of the forum take part each week , and you all seem to know each other with all the banter going on which is fun to listen to . So yeah I thought it was about time after 12 weeks of listening and reading in the forums that I join in !  But really well done to you all who've been a part of the grog cast ...you've kept my intrest , and I'm sure I'll keep listening in , I'm a fan :)

And wow , you've had your D&D stuff since you were ten , what is it about that game that draws people in ?  You must have good memories of it if your still keeping hold of the game , or maybe it's just nostalgia for "the good old days " !! Although I'm beginning to understand that gamers REALLY do not like to let go of anything , which is kind of intresting , and I'm wondering why that is , maybe you'll cover that in a grog cast  😉
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Nefaro

Bunch of hoarders!

I'm guilty, too, of course.

However.. I do occasionally see the odd used RPG at my local game store.  I think they are mostly much older versions, however.

You can probably come across some used stuff on Ebay but if they're the latest versions, still in popular use, I think the bids usually drive the cost up almost right to the price for new ones at Amazon (especially considering the exorbitant shipping costs on many Ebay offers). 

I've picked up a few Adventure, Board, and Wargames on Ebay but it was usually when there were quite a few being resold at the same time so competing bids didn't drive them up so high.  That's rare for the good ones, however.

MetalDog

In the beginning, it was the passion for a new hobby that kept me collecting.  After a while, it became, "I don't want to let go of my childhood and the good times I had playing this."  Now, it's become, "I've had this stuff for 30+ years and I'll bequeath it to my kids!"

Emeraldlis

Hilarious , I hope you're  not crawling round corridors of games piled high in your house up to the ceiling !

You know like the hoarders TV show , where they only have one foot of space between all there ...erm...prize possessions and the ceiling ! :D I hope ya don't need digging out !!

Boy your kids are gonna love you when you hand them there inheritance , HOPEFULLY :D

MetalDog

My youngest has already laid claim to the books and the RPG stuff.  The rest?  It's two men enter, one man leaves.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PM
Thanks for the great welcome , on board what I suspect is a very male dominated arena !! Why I can almost smell the testosterone from here ...amongst other things !
There's definitely some 'other' things there :)

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PMYep my gaming knowledge is limited , so thanks for steering me in the right direction here . I had no idea that D&D gamers held on to their stuff so fastidiously .
RPGers are among the worst hoarders out there - largely because the games never really go out of date, and it's not like some technical upgrade makes them unplayable. 

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PMBut I'm here to learn , and hopefully contribute something that makes sense sometime soon :D
If you start making too much sense, you'll really stick out

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PMAlthough ....and this is going to sound crazy ....I'm not into war gaming per se .....don't lynch me yet please !! I am intrested in military history and strategy games .
What we call "wargaming" is probably what you're thinking of with "military history and strategy games".  We have some FPS guys in the crowd, and some real-time guys in the crowd.  But many of us are more methodical, thoughtful, intelligent, and good-looking turn-based gamers  8)

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PMAnd I've been listening to the grog cast which seems to cover a lot of topics I am intrested in , Star Wars for example , and I just bought Istanbul after listening to one of those episodes , I know I'm a lesser gamer , ( mirth ,I think may have  said that !) but it made me feel comfortable enough to join the site and hang around , and throw my two pennies worth in every once in a while !
Glad you're enjoying the GrogCast!  We had no idea what we were getting into, but that's not stopping us from doing it  O0
Our gaming fandom runs pretty wide, so there are a lot of different games we're going to talk about - from RPGs, to FPS, to Warhammer, to 2500 lead Russians on the gym floor.

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PMSo if you don't mind me being in the hallowed ground of the forum ,  I'll ...err....dodge out of the way of the surly looking sullen body guard type guarding the gateway , sidle over to the edge of the arena ....camouflaged of course , in the latest army green , very fetching ...and watch on with great intrest , and no doubt much curiosity at the comings and goings on of you ....erm...gaming gladiators :)
Please dive in and join the chatter!  It's like a cold swimming pool - the best move is often to just jump right and get the initial freeze over with ;D

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PMThanks again for making a newbie feel welcome :)
We try!  We occasionally succeed  :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

That was a great rundown there brant of my gaming thoughts!

It looks like I've started out on the slippery road to game hoarding myself ..oh well , I'll embrace it with geeky open arms , and join the bunch of thoughtful , intelligent , good looking gamers ;)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 28, 2015, 05:20:09 AMand join the bunch of thoughtful , intelligent , good looking gamers ;)

well, two out of three ain't bad :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 28, 2015, 05:20:09 AM

It looks like I've started out on the slippery road to game hoarding myself ..

At some point, you'll start needing more shelves.  And more shelves.  :crazy2:

Emeraldlis

More SHELVES !! Good grief , this is getting awful serious  :o

Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on May 27, 2015, 06:56:01 PM
Bunch of hoarders!

I'm guilty, too, of course.
As am I.  :P 

Hell, for any computer game I've purchased in the last 20 years where I own a physical copy, I generally still have the box (and assorted contents).  This is true even for games where I later picked up a digital copy as well (so I wouldn't have to worry about the disk).  ::) 

Quote from: MetalDog on May 27, 2015, 07:03:09 PM
In the beginning, it was the passion for a new hobby that kept me collecting.  After a while, it became, "I don't want to let go of my childhood and the good times I had playing this."  Now, it's become, "I've had this stuff for 30+ years and I'll bequeath it to my kids!"
Same here -- except for that last one, of course.  I have no kids, and in most cases, I'm too young to have owned anything for 30 years regardless.  (It's a nice thought for down the line, though.)  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 28, 2015, 02:51:03 PM
More SHELVES !! Good grief , this is getting awful serious  :o
That reminds me:  I really need to get a second bookshelf.  The one I have is so over-crowded it's ridiculous.  :buck2: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces