It's FINALLY Here - GrogCast Season 4!

Started by bayonetbrant, September 27, 2016, 07:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

I still have I, Jedi around here somewhere. I've heard that one is also good.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Emeraldlis

Quote from: mirth on January 22, 2017, 10:26:26 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 22, 2017, 10:15:30 AM
Cool  8) the book it is then :) is this book the very beginning of the whole Star Wars thing then ? Please tell me there's no prequel to that ......or prequel to that , lol , because although I loved rogue one , I NEED that to be the beginning !!!!!! I'm getting all prequeled out  :wow:   ;D

Well, Brian Daley wrote a series of Han Solo books set before the first Star Wars film. Those were pretty good for back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Adventures

Then there's Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster. That takes place immediately after the first SW movie and was written as a sequel in case the first movie bombed and Lucas couldn't do a big budget second movie. That book isn't great, but a it's worth a read for nostalgia purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

Under no circumstances, should you subject yourself to Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu. It was basically unreadable.

Thanks for the links mirth  O0 the hans solo /Chewie stories sound like a lot of fun , adventure and more of a back story on them is cool . I always thought it was a shame in the movies how their friendship wasn't expanded on a bit more , because I think it's a great partnership .
Splinter of the minds eye looks good too :) more explanation of the kiber crystal , it looks like . Hahaha , that totally sounds like yoda !!!!
Jinasso wore that around her neck in rogue one , so it'll be great to have that expanded upon . Thanks for the heads up on the mind harp of sharu .......good to know !!! Lol .
So basically , I'll read/listen to heir of the empire .......move on to the dark horse comic ......then go for the hans solo and Chewie stories .....and that should scratch my Star Wars itch for some time to come  :bd:

Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2017, 10:47:22 AM

Good grief bbmike , there's more  :o , lol , not that I'll be complaining after I've read the other stuff :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

mirth

I've read part of Kenobi. It's pretty good. I'll finish it at some point.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on January 22, 2017, 10:56:08 AM

I've read part of Kenobi. It's pretty good. I'll finish it at some point.

Now I must read Kenobi! What have you done! I'm also looking at Heir to the Empire.  #:-)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Honestly, Emeraldlis, I would just start with the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command), and then go from there -- should you feel so inclined.  mirth's disagreement notwithstanding, they really are good books; they're considered a cornerstone of the Star Wars expanded universe for a reason. 

It remains, by far, my favorite standalone Star Wars novel.  It helps to have read the (also excellent IMO) X-Wing series of novels first, but it's not necessary to enjoy it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Martok on January 26, 2017, 12:33:18 PM
Honestly, Emeraldlis, I would just start with the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command), and then go from there -- should you feel so inclined.  mirth's disagreement notwithstanding, they really are good books; they're considered a cornerstone of the Star Wars expanded universe for a reason. 

It remains, by far, my favorite standalone Star Wars novel.  It helps to have read the (also excellent IMO) X-Wing series of novels first, but it's not necessary to enjoy it.

Hi martok , yeah I'm about a quarter of the way through heir to the empire . I'm listening to it on audible , and honestly it's really cool to hear the characters voices brought to life . The book starts with Star Wars intro theme music , seriously cool  8) I'm loving how it starts with leia being pregnant and kind of carries on the story of hans solo and his cheeky bartering , and general roaming the galaxy trying to help out leia :) the character of thrawn is excellent , I really hope we see him in a movie one day . But so far so good , it's a really enjoyable story :) I'll definately be purchasing the rest of the trilogy ........and now you mention I Jedi , along with the others ....hmmmmmmm , I'm going to be doing a LOT of Star Wars reading/listening over the coming weeks  :bd: I even watched the force awakens a couple of nights ago , lol , I've got my Star Wars mojo on !!!!!!!!  :notworthy: thanks for the extra recommends  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

bayonetbrant

Just keep this in mind:

The Force Awakens is a COMPLETELY different story than the books we're talking about.

The books all existed before that movie, and the creators of the movie have said outright that the books don't matter, and may as well have never existed.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

There are literally hundreds of non-canon books set in the Star Wars universe out there...counting graphic novels.

One of my favorites is the X-Wing: Rogue Squadron series. I want to say there were 12 in that one? I can't recall, I should re-read them.

mirth

I've never read any of the Rogue Squadron books.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 27, 2017, 01:18:16 PM
Just keep this in mind:

The Force Awakens is a COMPLETELY different story than the books we're talking about.

The books all existed before that movie, and the creators of the movie have said outright that the books don't matter, and may as well have never existed.

Yeah , I get ya , I know the story is different . It's just that I had my daughter watching tv with me , and I could only rope her into "letting" me , lol , watch that one  ;D still a great movie night though :) then we ended up looking at TERRIBLE fan videos on YouTube of the upcoming movie in December , the last Jedi  :hide: wow , I'd sooner just wait !!!!

And then I told her about heir of the empire ......THAT did not go down well , because she doesn't want any of the plot ruining for seeing the movie in December  ;D I think she actually tried to unhear everything I just said , lol :) I told her I think rey and keylo rent are brother and sister  O:-)

But if the books are not going to be used , well firstly that sucks  :-\  I really like thrawn as a bad guy , he's got that laid back menacing , I will choke you with the force whilst working on my impressive Vader like smile and yawning ....attitude , going in !!!!!

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 27, 2017, 01:22:24 PM
There are literally hundreds of non-canon books set in the Star Wars universe out there...counting graphic novels.

One of my favorites is the X-Wing: Rogue Squadron series. I want to say there were 12 in that one? I can't recall, I should re-read them.

Please re-read them ....join me in my Star Wars mania  :D :bd: :nerd:

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 27, 2017, 01:22:24 PM

With all your free time....

Emeraldlis

Quote from: mirth on January 27, 2017, 01:20:47 PM

;D ;D.....only seconds away from the dark side , he is ...mhwahahahaha  >:D