Red Cross is taking games to court because apparently the likeness can't be used

Started by Destraex, March 17, 2017, 04:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chemkid

time to go offline and hide in my cave again - for the rest of my life, to escape shit like that! :(

bbmike

While both developers recognize that the red cross can be an important symbol in the right context, they can't help but raise their eyebrows at the fact that a charitable organization is spending its donated resources to cracking down on indie game developers.

Exactly. If they were painting red crosses on stuff in, you know, THE REAL WORLD I would be all for it. But to go all PETA?  :idiot2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bobarossa

I've supported Red Cross for decades but I'm going to send them a nasty email about this (for exactly the reason you quoted).

edit: OK, per internet standards, I posted a knee jerk reply before reading the linked article.  It's happening in the UK so I don't think my outrage to the American Red Cross would do much good.

DoctorQuest

I will not stop giving blood because of this. This is some idiot lawyer, not the folks who do the real good work.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 10:46:08 AM
I will not stop giving blood because of this. This is some idiot lawyer, not the folks who do the real good work.

An "idiot" lawyer wouldn't be pursuing a claim unless an "idiot" client directed him to do so on its behalf.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2017, 01:11:45 PM

An "idiot" lawyer wouldn't be pursuing a claim unless an "idiot" client directed him to do so on its behalf.

Sorry. I stand corrected.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Phantom

I used to work for the Red Cross in the UK & find this slightly embarrassing. As the article says, surely they have better things to spend their time & money on?

mirth

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 02:08:18 PM

Don't cave. Doubledown and make a crack about the Marines :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

^That dude's got flamethrower and more weapons than a third world country. Be nice to him.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

RyanE

Do you become an idiot lawyer if you take on an idiot client.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on March 17, 2017, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 02:08:18 PM

Don't cave. Doubledown and make a crack about the Marines :P

My doctor said I should try to limit myself to one stupid attack a day.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Poor Jarhead. Blind loyalty to his fellow lawyers.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!