Total War: Three Kingdoms

Started by Nefaro, January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

This is a definite must have for me. 

Random fact:  The Suikoden series (from Square Enix I believe) is loosely based off the novel 'The Water Margin'.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Watched a TW: Three Kingdoms pre-release gameplay vid yesterday.  Ohhh, damn!   :coolsmiley:

Had been luke warm about picking it up earlier rather than later, but after seeing the various game mechanics they took from various TW titles, I'm beginning to think I may be up for it.  Seems like they chose a lot of good stuff to implement.  I just hope there's not some hidden BS mechanic going on, behind the scenes, which only becomes noticeable after extended campaign play (as in TW: Attila).  Will have to check out some more aged campaign vids soon.  It certainly looks lovely.

Coming out in about 2 weeks™.

Jarhead0331

High praise indeed...

Three Kingdoms is an absolutely massive game, but it has a very clear thematic focus on the Three Kingdoms period – specifically the Romance of the Three Kingdoms – and a very clear mechanical focus on individual heroes. The shift bears an obvious resemblance to Crusader Kings II, which uses the lives of individual characters to liven up a game which might otherwise be stuffy. Indeed, Three Kingdoms defuses the impersonal, often boring expansion of empire which has plagued previous games in the series like Rome II with a riveting web of friendships, rivalries and grudge matches. Despite the resemblance, there really is no game which has quite the same combination of elements, nor is there any strategy game that looks this good. Defending a town in the evening light, watching your troops wade through shallow water and sending opposing lines crashing together is a spectacle. It's the best Total War game, the best historical strategy game released so far this year, and its stories are so compelling I'm as excited to read about other people's anecdotes as I am to create more of my own.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/16/total-war-three-kingdoms-review/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Wow. I know nothing about the Three Kingdoms period and was going to put this off until it went on sale. Now...hmm...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

I'm glad you pre ordered too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

FYI PC Gamer's review of this is also up - on my phone so I cannot get the link.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Pc gamer gave it a 78, said not the best or worst total war game

Kind of interesting reviews out so early, release not until next week

Gusington

Yeah they were definitely not as hot for it as RPS, which is odd.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2019, 01:26:31 PM
Yeah they were definitely not as hot for it as RPS, which is odd.

Maybe it has a gay or transgender army, which would explain the RPS love affair?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Why is preordering better than buying on release? Goodies?

Anyway, moot point for me. I've tried with Shogun but damn...I have absolutely no interest in anything other than European history. Just doesn't do anything for me. Didn't play Shogun until the expansion that let me import the US marines! Sucks because I'm sure it will be great
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on May 16, 2019, 02:38:52 PM
Why is preordering better than buying on release? Goodies?

Anyway, moot point for me. I've tried with Shogun but damn...I have absolutely no interest in anything other than European history. Just doesn't do anything for me. Didn't play Shogun until the expansion that let me import the US marines! Sucks because I'm sure it will be great

Because I also received like 25 or 30 percent off if I remember correctly...if going to buy anyway, why not get cheaper?

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2019, 09:17:38 AM
High praise indeed...

Three Kingdoms is an absolutely massive game, but it has a very clear thematic focus on the Three Kingdoms period – specifically the Romance of the Three Kingdoms – and a very clear mechanical focus on individual heroes. The shift bears an obvious resemblance to Crusader Kings II, which uses the lives of individual characters to liven up a game which might otherwise be stuffy. Indeed, Three Kingdoms defuses the impersonal, often boring expansion of empire which has plagued previous games in the series like Rome II with a riveting web of friendships, rivalries and grudge matches. Despite the resemblance, there really is no game which has quite the same combination of elements, nor is there any strategy game that looks this good. Defending a town in the evening light, watching your troops wade through shallow water and sending opposing lines crashing together is a spectacle. It's the best Total War game, the best historical strategy game released so far this year, and its stories are so compelling I'm as excited to read about other people's anecdotes as I am to create more of my own.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/16/total-war-three-kingdoms-review/

i read this review, and didn't find it very convincing. It reads much more like an AAR of his game and really isn't all that descriptive about game systems. I'm intrigued but want to know more.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower