Black Desert Online

Started by Huw the Poo, October 30, 2018, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

Looks good I would say though her head looks way too small for her body...

acctingman

It is a nice looking game, but I can't stand the Asian anime look (it's worse that the cartoonish WoW look, imo)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: acctingman on March 11, 2019, 08:48:28 AM
(it's worse that the cartoonish WoW look, imo)

Hahaha!  I'd definitely take BDO over "baby's first MMO"  :2funny:

Anyway!  Here's a shot of Ffion riding along the coastline of the ocean:

Also, I decided to learn how to cook!  So here's Ffion being a good girl:

acctingman

Maybe the next time it's on sale or F2P, I'll take a look.

Any class recommendations there Poo?

Huw the Poo

There's always a free trial available on the website - I'm not sure whether it's a full free trial or restricted to the new "Shadow Arena" (which I'm sure you won't be interested in as I think it's a PvP arena).

I can only really speak for the Dark Knight class, since it's the only one I've played much of.  The reason I chose Dark Knight is she's not reliant on combos; combos don't suit my play style at all.  There are plenty of skills with plenty of key combinations, but no particular order you use them in.  Also she does a mixture of close and ranged damage, so there's a bit of everything in there without the pressure of learning long strings of commands.  Suits me down to the ground.

I tried two other classes briefly and I remember liking one and hating the other - I still have the characters so I'll dig them out this evening and see which one I'd recommend.

Huw the Poo

OK I remembered which other class I like - the Lahn.  Behold!

This vicious little minx wields a pendulum crescent in her main hand and a sword in her offhand.  She's really fun to fight with.  She swings the pendulum in enormous arcs, giving her insane combat range, and follows up attacks with swift strikes with her sword and even kicks.  It's a joy to behold and should make it easy to plough through huge packs of mobs.

Playing with her for the few minutes I just did almost makes me want to use her as my main, in fact - the class is that fun!

acctingman

This game isn't "tab" oriented is it? How do you target in BDO?

Also, from what little I've seen of the combat it looks very action oriented. I hate to say this, but I did like the "clicky" combat style of WoW  :uglystupid2:

Huw the Poo

You don't target, or at least not with any class I've used.  Combat is much too fast for that, and the mobs are far too dense.  You're hacking and slashing through whole groups at a time; it wouldn't make sense to target anything.

acctingman

Thanks for that. I might just pass then. Not a fan of that type of combat. I don't have the reflexes for it  :-[

Pete Dero

For those who want to try it out :

Play for free until March 25  : https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

and -50% until March 26

acctingman

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 19, 2019, 01:09:53 PM
For those who want to try it out :

Play for free until March 25  : https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

and -50% until March 26

Well, crap...I can't say no to "free"

Huw the Poo

Let me know if you have any questions, BDO can be pretty bloody bewildering at first (and there's a lot I don't know myself yet).

I'll say one thing - the Black Spirit is your friend.  His quest line gives all the gear you'll need all the way to level 50+.

JasonPratt

So, BDO is basically a much more customizable free-roam x-Warriors game (e.g. Dynasty Warriors) with its own original milieu?

Because I could get into that.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

I've no idea Jason, sorry.  BDO is, on the surface, much like other MMOs, with two important exceptions:

1. It's much more complex than most MMOs
2. The combat is fast and furious - somewhere in the middle between standard MMO and Diablo

Geezer

You have to like to grind to have fun BDO.  After you've done some grinding then you do some more grinding, and some more...  It's fun if you like grinding and probably not fun if you don't.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw