Black Desert Online

Started by Huw the Poo, October 30, 2018, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Perhaps you noticed, perhaps not, Huw, but I have joined the Guild today. Family name Daventria, character (for now) Madelyf.

I actually figured out the node system today! Good fun.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Oh that was you, was it?  Yeah I did say hello - my name on Discord is Gryffyd (my family name in the game). :)

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 31, 2018, 02:28:14 AM

Started a new character (family name Daventria). Lots of new class options from last time I played. The character creator is weird in a sense that the characters look so real that if you're creating a female (I chose Archer) you feel rather uncomfortable to be 'playing' with her body measurements. Weird stuff.
As far as creating the person you have lots op options to tweak, but like Huw mentioned you have little choice in deciding on outfit. Not even on colour of the outfit.
This is definately done to persuade you to start buying costumes in the store.

At least you got to customize your new character a bit.  My first couple characters, created right after the NA release, were stuck on all defaults.   :knuppel2:

Must've been one of the early bugs.  I spent a chunk of time customizing my characters' physical looks but when I entered the game, none of it took.  It just kept dumping myself and others, IIRC, into the game with all the hair, nose, eyes, size, etc all left at the same default. 

While I still kinda enjoyed that new game smell for a bit, it was not a good first impression.  ;D

EDIT:  Ultimately, I think the hectic key-intensive combo system is the reason I stopped playing.  It was interesting but some permanent nerve damage in my left hand made it more challenging.  Plus there was too much overcrowding at the time, which I hope has spread out more evenly by now.

Huw the Poo

It depends a lot on which class you play.  I tried creating one of the oriental classes and didn't like all the combinations, but on my Death Knight it's just one key combo per move with barely any that need to be strung together, and it's much more manageable.

Huw the Poo

I'm back into this in a big way!  Here's my Dark Knight, Ffion, galloping around in the beautiful countryside:

Two closeups of Ffion:

Staggerwing

You wouldn't happen to have her, uh phone number or anything... would you?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

acctingman

I so want to try this game, but I hate forced pvp more than I hate broccoli

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 08, 2019, 10:00:57 PM
You wouldn't happen to have her, uh phone number or anything... would you?

Ha!  She is beautiful isn't she!

acctingman: For what it's worth, I haven't encountered any PvP at all yet.  It's my understanding that PvP is largely centered around things like node wars and guild wars, where you'd be in a group anyway.  The only time you might get into a one-on-one fight is if you're encroaching on a grind spot that someone else is already using.

I'm sure there are those who gank for the fun of it, but I haven't seen any.

Geezer

Quote from: acctingman on March 09, 2019, 12:51:20 AM
I so want to try this game, but I hate forced pvp more than I hate broccoli

FWIW I played a lot of hours of BDO and only recall one time someone tried to gank me.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Huw the Poo

Plus there's a free trial available.  Anyone interested should try it!  You get a mount very early too - only a donkey to begin with, but lower-tier horses are very cheap.

Huw the Poo

God this is a beautiful game:

Geezer

She got a real purty mouth ain't she.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Huw the Poo

Exploring the great library in Calpheon, one of the major cities:

Standing atop the walls of Calpheon:

I don't know what this procession is all about.  Look - an elephant!

Huw the Poo

Standing in the shade of a tree while looking at the Demi River:

After a lot of hard riding, finally arriving in the titular desert:

Huw the Poo

So...I decided to sell my house in the city and buy a little place on a farm.  That's mine on the upper floor with the windows open (I'll post interior shots when I've decorated a bit):

A random shot of the southeast corner of Calpheon City in the distance as I enter the southwest corner.  Yes, it's that big.  Everything you see in these shots are fully traversable by the way.