Google Chromecast and Stadia

Started by jomni, March 20, 2019, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Super skeptical.

Unless Google has some sort of super secret compression algorithm, I'm not sure how they can deliver a lossless experience to the kind of audience they'd need to make it work.

They'd have to give real time zero lag response to the average gamer to make it truly compete in the market.   

However, IF, and it's a big if, they've done it, this is a game changer.   It could potentially kill the console market, and do some damage to the PC market as well.   I think PC might float because modding and client side ownership is still a big deal to PC gamers, and I don't know how well this will translate to indy games or niche genres like sims and wargames. 

But, man, if they can deliver what they say...  Sell the car, sell the kids, sell the PS4 and XBox 1X.   They could break casual console gaming over their knee.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

Well contrary to what Google claims, the people who could play the service noticed considerable input lag.
I am skeptical; it sounds like a fun experiment and will garner some spotlight time for Google, but I am not convinced this is the second coming of gaming.

Besides, by the time they have this running in true lossless format boardgaming will have had its ressurection if kickstarter projects are any measure worth considering. 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Manassassas

There's been a lot of scepticism about this online already - but five years ago people were sceptical about Netflix because they couldn't imagine not having a DVD collection...and five years before that I couldn't get my head around Spotify while I continued to add to my 1,000+ record and CD collection that I now look at and wonder what I was thinking (incidentally, if anyone can help me out with some storage space, I'd be very grateful).

Google might not necessarily be the company to make it work, but somebody will and it will probably happen a lot more quickly than we think it will.

Huw the Poo

Hmm, my memory differs.  When streaming services like Netflix and Spotify became a thing, I found myself very quickly in the group called "dinosaurs" because I still insisted on having a physical collection.  Streaming services for films and music were embraced wholeheartedly.

Google face significant problems with Stadia though, that have been well documented elsewhere over the last day or two.  I think that one of their biggest problems in the US market will be network infrastructure, i.e. you don't have any, haha.  Not enough for high-quality gaming anyway.  Didn't Google themselves mention 50mbps?  It's my understanding that that's pretty unobtainable in most of the USA.

I'm not holding my breath, at any rate.  If Stadia takes off at all, it will be a long time from now.  Owning your own games console/machine isn't going anywhere.