Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: SGS's Battle for Hue relea...
Last post by Phantom - Today at 12:35:32 PM
Quote from: Old TImer on Yesterday at 02:25:54 PMhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/2597290/SGS_Battle_For_Hue/

While I'm not enamored with the game system particularly, the subject
matter is irresistible.  Instabuy.

I have the Western Desert WW2 game - not played it yet but curious about your doubts about the game system - anything in particular?
Computer Gaming / Re: DCS Discussion
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 12:16:02 PM
CH-47F open for preorders. Release date has been revealed too. June 26, 2024.

Computer Gaming / Roguelike newb
Last post by devoncop - Today at 11:40:10 AM
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice...

As a longtime strategy gamer and occasional RPG fan like Shadowrun series and the Pathfinder games by Owlcat, I have never even dreamed of playing a roguelike. I did play the original Darkest Dungeon but wouldn't really call that a true roguelike personally.

I have recently watched Battlemode showcasing ADOM and other You Tubers  doing the same with Caves of Qud and Soulash 2 and all looked really deep (though the "graphics" on Caves of Qud bear close similarity to neolithic cave drawings :HideEyes: ).

I have bought ADOM and so far it is amazing.

Can anyone recommend any similar games I may like given I like ADOM. ?
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by Tripoli - Today at 10:51:56 AM
CNN is reporting the Tu-22M3 BACKFIRE was shot down by an S-200 (SA-5 GAMMON) system.
 That would explain it being shot down almost 200 miles from Ukraine.  I'm surprised/impressed the SA-5 actually hit anything.  I also assumed the Ukrainian SA-5 were out of action, as it is a largely static system, and most of them should have been hit by the Russians by this point in the war.  My guess is the Russians got cocky and thought they were largely immune from being hit at that range, and either weren't properly using their defensive ECM systems or they are sending out strike aircraft without operational defensive systems, believing the long range made the risk acceptable. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/19/europe/ukraine-air-defense-russian-bomber-dnipropetrovsk-intl/index.html

[Addendum] Apparently, I missed this little detail regarding the use by Ukraine of SA-5s: According to Wikipedia (and yes, I'm embarrassed that Wikipedia showed me up on this point) Ukrainian armed forces claim to have used an S-200 to shoot down the A-50  over the Sea of Azov on 23 February 2024.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-200_missile_system
Wargame Design Studio / Re: Civil War Battles Thread
Last post by rahamy - Today at 08:13:16 AM
New post is up at WDS, announcing the release of the updates for the balance of the CWB series. Get the details here:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/civil-war-battles-4-05-1-updates
Current Events / Re: Israel
Last post by Sigwolf - Today at 06:59:24 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on Yesterday at 11:35:56 PMIsrael hits back and the only sad news is that there might not be any more flyable F-14s in the world.  :sad:

QuoteIranian State Media is reporting that tonight's Airstrike by the Israel Air Force may have Targeted the 8th Tactical Airbase of the Iranian Air Force, within Isfahan International Airport, which contains multiple Squadrons of F-14 "Tomcat" Fighter Aircraft.

fwiw they dont have squadrons of Tomcats.

Yeah, but they do have various Tomcat carcasses that they have no parts to repair.   :ROFL:
Last post by MengJiao - Today at 05:17:21 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on Yesterday at 11:35:56 PMIsrael hits back and the only sad news is that there might not be any more flyable F-14s in the world.  :sad:

QuoteIranian State Media is reporting that tonight's Airstrike by the Israel Air Force may have Targeted the 8th Tactical Airbase of the Iranian Air Force, within Isfahan International Airport, which contains multiple Squadrons of F-14 "Tomcat" Fighter Aircraft.

Presumably there was something else there more worth blowing up.

Also, as you can imagine, Hezabollah is worried about being kind of left right next to Israel while things are happening.  They have remarked that they didn't think any of this was going to happen and that they are just shooting at things occasionally and don't want any trouble.
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Yesterday at 11:35:56 PM
Israel hits back and the only sad news is that there might not be any more flyable F-14s in the world.  :sad: