Main Menu

My dad

Started by Martok, January 17, 2020, 05:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Thanks, Sir Slash

As it happens, I was the one relative in the room when my father passed away around 4:10 this morning (CST); it was just me and the nurse when he died.  My dad was there for my grandfather when he died back in 1988, so I admit it was somewhat cathartic that I, in turn, was able to do the same thing for him. 

I'm really going to miss him, though. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tripoli

Martok. I'm sorry for your loss   You and your Dad are in my prayers.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

besilarius

So sorry, Martok.
'The next few weeks will be hard.  Greiving can't be rushed.
When you need to let it out or talk it through, we are all here and we understand.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

Martok:

I'm sorry for your loss.  May God have mercy on your father's soul.

Gusington

I am glad to read that you were there when he passed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Deeply sorry for your loss Martok.  Stay strong in your Dad's memory.  Know that he'd want you to heal no matter how hard it feels.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Anguille

I am deeply saddened by the loss that you and your family have encountered. My sincere condolences.

I am sure your daddy was very happy that you were there for him.

Sir Slash

I am so sorry for your whole family's loss Martok. God be with you all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Deepest condolences on your family's loss Martok.
Insert witty comment here.

Martok

Thanks so much, everyone.  Your thoughts & prayers have definitely been a source of strength for me this past week, and will continue to be in the days to come as well.  Thank you. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Martok.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.  It's good that you were there with him because I'm sure that offered him comfort. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MikeGER

my deepest condolences for your loss Martok

we are here for you

Rekim

My condolences to you and your family, Martok.

GroggyGrognard

Martok,

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. My own mother fought a tough battle with leukemia. She never gave up, even until the end of her life. Even 25 years later after her passing, it is still the roughest loss I've experienced. My grief stayed with me for a long time and eventually it did fade. But it took a few years for that to happen. I have always reminded myself that my mother would want me live my days full of life. As cliched as it sounds, time does heal and it will get better. Hang in there.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

LoganismyHERO

Martok

I lost my father a couple years ago and I was almost not there when he passed. It was the hardest day of my life but I'm so happy (now) that I was there with him (and my family). I think of him almost every day and now I take great comfort knowing he isn't suffering anymore (lung cancer & COPD).

You WILL heal.