Warhammer II: Total War - Who's playing?

Started by Martok, December 24, 2019, 02:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I finally reinstalled and started playing this again after the most recent (and aptly-named) "Potion of Speed" update.  It's honestly pretty impressive what CA has accomplished with the optimization improvements; even on my average/low-end machine, it takes only 15-20 seconds to process turns, even on the Mortal Empires map! 

I'm not gonna lie; I'm having a blast.  :bd:  I currently have two (quite different) campaigns going: 

In the first one, I'm playing Lord Tyrion of Lothern, one of the High Elf factions, in the Great Vortex campaign.  I start off having to defend against -- and drive off -- an invasion of Dark Elves who have dared sullied sacred Ulthuan's soil, and even threaten my capital.  At the same time, I'm also trying to wrangle all the other (often-fractious) High Elven factions into working together, with the eventual goal of confederating them into a single, unified kingdom -- a Herculean task if there ever was one!  (Can you say "herding cats"?)  :idiot2:  While all this is going on, I'm also having to deal with various pirate factions threatening my shores, as well as court intrigue involving both my internal court, as well as the numerous other High-Elven Houses.  It's gloriously byzantine fun!  >:D 

I've also started a Mortal Empires campaign as the Bretonnians, with the new FLC Legendary Lord, Repanse de Lyonesse.  Given both her background and abilities, she's an obvious Warhammer stand-in for Joan of Arc, with the main difference being that her campaign starts her away from her native Bretonnia, and instead has her campaigning in the deserts of Araby, where she seeks to cleanse the lands of the various Undead (Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, etc.) that foul that part of the world.  There are other nearby Bretonnian chivalric knight orders (doing the same thing as her) she can ally with, so that together they can carve out their own sphere of influence.  Playing as "Damoiselle de Guerre", it feels very much like you're on Crusade, which is clearly intentional; it's been an interesting (and fun) experience thus far.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

I am - about 20 turns into a wood elf campaign, it's going quite well - I've hammered a few brettonnians and dwarves and am heading south to kill the skaven - can only afford one army so it's going slow but looking forward to what happens next

solops

I am about 60 turns into a co-op game with my son (home for the holidays!) who is playing for the first time. This is my first game with the new patch and my first un-modded game in a long, long time. The patch is great. The improvement in turn speed and some other refinements are just super. But, my impression of the base game is the same as several years ago - way too fast and superficial. It still needs some combat mods to get rid of the total arcade-speed thing as well as some fixes for trade and other odds and ends. All in all, the game is great fun.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Emir Agic

Quote from: solops on December 24, 2019, 09:14:19 AMIt still needs some combat mods to get rid of the total arcade-speed thing as well as some fixes for trade and other odds and ends. All in all, the game is great fun.

Solops, may you give recommendation for mods which reduce battle speed and improve trading?

OJsDad

I have this on my wishlist.  If I get it, should I also get TW:Warhammer 1?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

undercovergeek

You can't play the mortal empire campaign without 1 which combines both maps into a huge game

JasonPratt

1 also has more factions than 2, so if only one then 1 -- unless you really want to play a faction (or more) from 2.

This is why Steam sales exist.  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

I had a bet that he was the "anonymous" in the White House

Yskonyn

Didn't know there was this speed patch. Definately going to take a look again in that case.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Damn. I already had my hands full with Mech Warrior 5, DCS and Star Citizen 3.8...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Quote from: solops on December 24, 2019, 09:14:19 AM
I am about 60 turns into a co-op game with my son (home for the holidays!) who is playing for the first time. This is my first game with the new patch and my first un-modded game in a long, long time. The patch is great. The improvement in turn speed and some other refinements are just super. But, my impression of the base game is the same as several years ago - way too fast and superficial. It still needs some combat mods to get rid of the total arcade-speed thing as well as some fixes for trade and other odds and ends. All in all, the game is great fun.
The battles are probably my main critique with TW's Warhammer franchise.  They don't feel quite as tactical as their historical counterparts, especially with the units moving so quickly as you mentioned. 

I still enjoy the combat, to be sure, but I do wish it moved at a bit more stately pace. 

Quote from: OJsDad on December 24, 2019, 10:09:41 AM
Yes, but wait for a sale. 

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2019, 01:38:47 PM
Damn. I already had my hands full with Mech Warrior 5, DCS and Star Citizen 3.8...
Join us, Jarhead.  The Old World beckons...  >:D 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Geezer

I have it with some of the DLC but it's been on the back burner for a while.  I keep telling Santa I've been really good this year so can I please have Total War WH40K.  It's the last game I'll ever need.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on December 24, 2019, 03:07:03 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on December 24, 2019, 10:09:41 AM
Yes, but wait for a sale. 

On sale now.  I can get TW:WH2 and all DLC for $50.46 and TW:WH1 and all DLC for $39.93. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Unless you have a burning desire to play specific DLC factions (like the Wood Elves in WH1 or Tomb Kings in WH2), I would save your money and just purchase the base version of each game.  The DLC is nice, but not worth the florins IMO; and the base games already include plenty of content & replayability.