Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 21, 2018, 02:11:34 PM
There is nothing stopping you from screaming overhead Normandy with modern jets afaik.

Yep, I am sure physically it is doable....but just was assuming the ground features would look like something out of the 1940's.....

mbar

I've flown Normandy in the F/a-18 and I did not feel out of place. Nice map.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mbar on December 21, 2018, 03:41:37 PM
But can you fly next to/against B-17s if you've got the Asset Pack?

I'm seriously thinking about getting this instead of X4-Foundations - just because.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 20, 2018, 02:04:29 PM
Quote from: Skoop on December 20, 2018, 01:47:09 PM
What about all the people who bought the aircraft and can't fly it with updates ?

"Attention! Starting DCS World version 2.5.4 this module will be unavailable! Please use DCS World version 2.5.3 or below!"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225574

From Facebook:
Quote:
Dear VEAO Customers,
We regret to inform you that we are ceasing development of all DCS modules effective immediately. This was a very difficult decision to make - our aim was always to provide high quality content and support for the DCS platform, however due to reasons beyond our control, continuing to partner with Eagle Dynamics is no longer a viable option for us.
We want to thank all of you who supported us and our products and we apologise for any disappointment this announcement may have caused. We are so lucky to have been a part of this amazing community for the past thirteen plus years, and are very sorry that our time as a business has come to an end.
Thank you once again,
Chris, Pete + VEAO team

This is actually very concerning - especially considering I have been buying into early access modules. This might make a difference  :-"

Also - especially as some of the modules are in development for so long. I wonder if the engine moves and they think "Oh...what the hell...we can't keep up".
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

^ I think that's a very, very valid concern.

Buy early access with caution.  DCS is the wild west in that sense.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

Supposedly the agreement with VEAO was done so long ago that Dcs didnt have some of the issues like this one lined out.  The new 3rd party dev agreements are suppose to address this very issue of what to do if the 3rd party folds. 

It looks like Dcs is completely washing their hands of it, leaving the consumer holding the bag.

I'd be happy with a free L39 or half off a future addon....but probaly not likely.....win some loose some.

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 21, 2018, 04:11:33 PM
Quote from: mbar on December 21, 2018, 03:41:37 PM
But can you fly next to/against B-17s if you've got the Asset Pack?

Yes you can.  If you don't like this you can disable modules in the module manager so they don't show up in the quick mission generator.

Yskonyn

The problems with the Hawk and VEAO have been simmering for quite some time.
It also was a niche airframe within a niche product perhaps further putting a big strain on the teams fortitude, aside from internal strive and or monetary issues; no effective combat capability in DCS's environment, but a popular choice for virtual airshow groups.
But now that we have a Hornet that aircraft would probably be chosen by many.

I think its great Eagle Dynamics is accepting third party groups to make modules, but at the same time with the DCS label they stand for high quality and realism.
VEAO was one of the earlier groups in this setup. It has been a (likely painful) learning experience for both parties.

I also have the Hawk and if we get some kind of restitution I would be delighted, but at the same time I would also be ok to write it off as R&D funds of some kind.
I don't know. It's probably opening a can of worms by saying that, cause people might also feel they paid money for something that -in the end- never got delivered fully and will not be usuable in its unfinished state in future either and I feel they would be correct. It wasn't crowdfunding afterall.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I simply cannot get over the level of detail in this model. Again, the bar is so clearly raised.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

mbar

Pre-ordered the Tomcat and bought the Mirage on sale. Buying the F-106 on FSX only because DCS have no plans for century fighters.

MikeGER

i got the Normandy Terrain and the WW II vehicles set combo in the Christmas sale  :)

fired up the editor ... and attacked a moving train with a UH1 gunship (which had fallen through a time tunnel, like in a B movie DVD-release-only setup), and working on doing it again with a P-51 

still have to get the 88 shooting ? (maybe they only open up only above a certain very high set altitude)
the Flak Vierling response, so its AI is in the sim

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 23, 2018, 08:58:14 PM
I simply cannot get over the level of detail in this model. Again, the bar is so clearly raised.

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 24, 2018, 01:31:57 AM
I can't wait  :smitten:

After the Tomcat is reasonably modeled (probably another two years at minimum) would you fine gentlemen entertain some Red vs Blue multiplayer?

I'd be willing to (re)learn some MiGs & wotnot for your RedFor killing practice.   :coolsmiley:  Could be lotsa fun!

Jarhead0331

It's not going to be 2 years. One of the major selling points of this module is that all major systems are in place from day one release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Your talking official finished release ?  I'm under the impression the f14 will be EA in 2 to 3 months due to the fact that they sold preorders.