Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wburn

Jeez, carriers have been the bane of my existence when I'm driving a BB. Slow rudder response time means you have to be 10 seconds in the future to avoid torpedoes.

fran

The new aircraft carrier game-play made it a go to ship class for me again. Granted it is slow going starting with single torpedo bomber attack, but it is often action filled when trying to protect yourself against approaching enemies. Trying to make good dive bombing run or targeting a specific enemy ship. One can make yourself useful by spotting destroyers for your team mates. The game-play is helped by the fact that you can quickly get to your targets and then return immediately to your ship to fly out the next squadron.

It is a bit of a learning curve but after a while it becomes a good earner.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 21, 2019, 11:48:44 AM

Well, note that it's only the Royal Navy that has this overall HMS quirk.  The British Army was never "royal" as a whole since it was the New Model Army (NMA) that restored the Monarchy in 1660 and was therefore never commissioned by the Crown.   Of course some forces were commissioned by the Crown: the Royal Artillery, the Royal Tank Regiment, the Royal Air Force, the Royal Marines.  Others not so much (the Green Howards, Cold Stream Guards etc.),   PLUS of course, in the King's English, H can stand for "His" or "hers" and following the grammar of the genitive (rather like the 3rd person indefinite in Athapaskan languages at this point), the act of Possession passes to the Crown itself ('s after Majesty).  So "HMS" is (by historical and grammatical accident) really pretty gender-neutral.

Here's the Normandie -- a very science-fictional ship, but pretty handy.  I've been driving it like a big cruiser and she has done okay so far:

DennisS

I am playing the steam version of this game..essentially I started over.

It sure seems that there are a spectacular number of asshats in the game. Almost every game I see 1 to 5! pink ships. I am also averaging much higher and better results. I am averaging 3.12 across all the battles...with about 25% of the time, having the best results on my team. I'm not that good....I am chalking it up to the newer player base from steam.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 01, 2019, 10:50:41 AM

Torpedo section of the most primitive of the new French destroyers:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 19, 2019, 11:12:19 AM

Friant torpedos (three times as many as on the primitive dd):

CptHowdy

just started playing this. cant shoot and drive for shit(pesky islands keep getting in my way). running up the american line for now. currently on the st. louis cruiser and only doing co-op while i learn this stuff! is it worth speding credits to upgrade ships at lower tiers? any must have premium ships? in world of tanks i had some premiums such as the lowes(only cost $35 when i got it and now costs $55) it was a credit printing machine at tier 8. any ships do the same? any countries inherently weaker than others? has wargaming.net's russian bias carried over from the tanks to the ships? thanks for the info!

Destraex

I just cannot bring myself to unlearn what I have learned about physics and shooting in war thunder to go back to WOWs. But I do have the urge especially with submarines coming.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 16, 2019, 04:44:45 AM
just started playing this. cant shoot and drive for shit(pesky islands keep getting in my way). running up the american line for now. currently on the st. louis cruiser and only doing co-op while i learn this stuff! is it worth speding credits to upgrade ships at lower tiers? any must have premium ships? in world of tanks i had some premiums such as the lowes(only cost $35 when i got it and now costs $55) it was a credit printing machine at tier 8. any ships do the same? any countries inherently weaker than others? has wargaming.net's russian bias carried over from the tanks to the ships? thanks for the info!

Can't say about the upgrade thing as I elite my stuff before moving to the next one (OCDish, I suppose).  Premium-wise, I'm not sure as I'm a sucker for Destroyers and have yet to meet a Premie Japanese Destroyer that I didn't like (and am sliding up the Pan Asian tech line at the same time which is nothing but destroyers so...).

I'd say, much like WoT, get a ship/class of a tech tree you're grinding on or a ship that is beneficial to whatever play style you enjoy and go for it.

Country-wise, and this is my impression from the 3 or 4 tech trees I'm going up (note: am only at Tier 4-6 with these lines): Soviets get pretty good guns but not so hot torpedoes.  Japanese get great torpedoes but guns are "meh." Pan-Asian gets a lot of Japanese ships early on so I've already covered that.  Germans seem to be fairly balanced in the guns and torpedoes category. 

Pretty sure someone has put together a better guide than that on the WoWs forums, so I'd check there.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 19, 2019, 03:10:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on September 19, 2019, 11:12:19 AM

Friant torpedos (three times as many as on the primitive dd):

Torpedoes do work well in this game.  But here is the Bogatyr (Imperial Russian Protected Cruiser) which has no Torpedoes (the game doesn't seem to allow fixed "underwater" tubes -- which may have only worked once if HMS Rodney really did torpedo the Bismarck):

CptHowdy

been at it for a couple of weeks now. i did get the scharnhorst and massachusetts as those were both highly recommended premium ships to pick up. they are fun as well. tried my hand at a few random battles but losing more than winning. so back to co-op!! currently doing all the halloween stuff.

MengJiao

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 31, 2019, 04:23:00 AM
been at it for a couple of weeks now. i did get the scharnhorst and massachusetts as those were both highly recommended premium ships to pick up. they are fun as well. tried my hand at a few random battles but losing more than winning. so back to co-op!! currently doing all the halloween stuff.

I've played for years and only in the simplest co-op set-ups (no campaigns, no Halloween).  It's a pretty relaxing game that way.  I played the smallest Russian dd last night and did well (against the AI of course) much to my surprise.  So that was nice and I got a collector's flag for having a lot of ships (thirty or so, but I've cut back since the more recently included ships generally have a lot more detail in their models so I've dumped the Germans and the Japanese since most of their ship models are crude and early while the Russians and French have much prettier ship models...I'd like to get the Italians, but their camo makes my video go nuts -- very strange)

Windigo

Have gotten back into it recently and find the changes engaging. My new favorite ship is the Haida a DD... being Canadian it is more a sentimental thing.

I find the hind behind the islands thing annoying, but then it only happens if there are no carriers around.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.