2018 Running World Cup Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, June 18, 2018, 06:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

THX that you started it before Germany is out of the tournament  ;)

that could be happening on Saturday in the match against Sweden  :o
(Sweden just won against SouthKorea an hour ago and so they will go on deep defense tactic on Saturday and it will be even harder for Germany to goal against them as normal)
I am pissed, no motorcade celebration for me so far  ..maybe non at all in 2018 :'(
4wheeler decoration at the ready as in 2014 

(2014)

plus some banners to be installed easier on the hood as my makeshift from 2014 and magnetic-mat flags for the doors O0

and because its has become also partially a German (inner)politics demonstration these days more then ever too

> Green-Left haaaaate any kind of 'patriotic expressions' and any kind of black-red-gold on display,
local Antifa activists roam through cities at night and steel car flags and other decoration to burn them as a stack and have contests running whit other cities (like Hamburg vs Berlin Antifa) who got more "Nazi loot" destroyed.
Go figure, prominent Green Party figurine Claudia Roth, demanded to not show black-red-gold, because our official national colors get "abused by the AFD to signal exclusion against people" (especially against those Turks with German passport national team members, who support 'dictator' Erdogan in his re-election with a photo and donation of jersey with handwritten inscription "For my revered President - sincerely."
<

so i got me a new toy to piss those Green-Left of for good when the motorcade rolls through the according borrows

i got me a spiked helmet fan head to ware at the motorcade  ;D   

bob48

I'm not, and never have been, a football fan (or whatever you colonials call it) so it all goes over my head. And there may well be a football pun in that statement, but hey, what do I know :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

So I've watched more World Cup than you this year?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MikeGER

Rock you like a HarryKane  \m/

England won 2:1 against Tunesia with two goals from their captain (Harry Kane) , the second one in the 90+1 minute

i like to have England in the round of the last 16 :)
it leads to classic matches ...duno, if England vs Germany is possible on the way to the final in an elimination match phase, those classy matches when the real World Cup starts.   

bayonetbrant

That second goal from Kane looked like a practice drill.  How the hell do you leave Harry Kane wide freakin' open at the back post with the game on the line?  I mean, look, if a ball pinball around and John Stones happens to get it, fine.  You tip your cap to the fact that a defender happened to snag a goal.  But leaving England's most dangerous striker wide open?  How are you not marking him man-to-man?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ComradeP

Thank God Germany didn't have this much luck in the war.

The man who was playing one of the worst matches in his career made the 2-1 in the final minute of the ridiculously long extra time, after Sweden was denied what looked like a penalty in the first half.

Beautiful goal by Toni Kroos, undeserved victory.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

MikeGER

Quote from: ComradeP on June 23, 2018, 03:23:56 PM
after Sweden was denied what looked like a penalty in the first half.

i am sure the video referee checked it  :P

Just back from the motorcade :D    all went well

the local cops did a good job, some crossing where blocked with bikes and the stream got directed in a i guess preplaned pattern and had patrol cars floating in the motorcade too and interdicted when 'spectators' tried to block it (either cause of simple joy and drunkness, or political reasons) but tolerated all things that might be a litte illegal as long as safety of a person himself or others was not endangered and the 'natural time limit' get not stretched to long into the night. and managed to get the car traffic of non football people tag along and the main axis open.
Even the chaos is (self)organized in Germany, i love it:)

Pete Dero

Quote from: ComradeP on June 23, 2018, 03:23:56 PM
Thank God Germany didn't have this much luck in the war.

The man who was playing one of the worst matches in his career made the 2-1 in the final minute of the ridiculously long extra time, after Sweden was denied what looked like a penalty in the first half.

Beautiful goal by Toni Kroos, undeserved victory.

Gary Lineker (2013) : "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win"

Over here in Belgium people are becoming more optimistic about our chances.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 24, 2018, 03:12:28 AMOver here in Belgium people are becoming more optimistic about our chances.

They should.  As I've noted elsewhere, they have enough depth that their B-team could make the knockout rounds.
Last game, they started with Vermaelen, Kompany, Fellaini, Januzaj, Dembele, and Batshuayi... on the bench.  Yikes

MetalDog

On the pregame this morning, Alexei Lalas said of Harry Kane, "He doesn't smell fear, he smells balls."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on June 24, 2018, 08:45:28 AM
On the pregame this morning, Alexei Lalas said of Harry Kane, "He doesn't smell fear, he smells balls."

1) I'm proud of you for actually watching something soccer-related

2) Lalas isn't known for his eloquence

MetalDog

I've watched ten or so hours of World Cup this year.  I watched the 2nd half of Portugal/Spain.  All of Belgium/Tunisia, Germany/Sweden bits and parts of two or three others.  It's obvious even to my untrained eye who has talent.  And I see that the reputation footballers have earned for going down like they were shot when someone gets within ten feet or so of them is well deserved. 

Pete Dero

Gary Lineker (2013) : "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win"

Unless they play against South Korea  :wow: #:-)  (2-0 and out of the tournament as reigning champion !)