Main Menu

Greedfall

Started by Gusington, September 10, 2019, 07:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Just released and as of last night has some positive reviews on Steam. Set in a sort of Renaissance type world with magic, beastslaying and colonization, Greedfall has got my attention. I hate the title - they really could not think of anything better?? - but the setting, gameplay and positive (so far) reviews have me excited. Anyone pick it up?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

I have, but barely had any time to play it.
It seems to be more of an 18th century (Enlightenment period) than Renaissance though.

Jarhead0331

I have this wishlisted, but the past titles of the developer have not impressed me. They are sort of like the B grade of RPG games...at least, that is the sense I have always got. Greedfall does look interesting though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

A quick use of The Google has showed me that professional gaming sites like Kotaku and pubs like Forbes (!) do not like it as much as the players do right now.

Focus is the publisher and they put out Vampyr, one of last year's biggest disappointments for me.

Spiders is the developer but I don't know what else they have done.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

^Technomancer, Bound By Flames, Mars: War Logs and Two-Worlds, I think. They are all creative efforts, but gameplay-wise. Mixed impressions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 10, 2019, 08:37:57 AM
^Technomancer, Bound By Flames, Mars: War Logs and Two-Worlds, I think. They are all creative efforts, but gameplay-wise. Mixed impressions.

Two-Worlds isn't theirs.

Gusington

Bound by Flame is the only one I'd be interested in and IIRC it got ok reviews.

Greedfall appears to be fresh and creative enough to pick it up, even if the pro reviews are not so great.

Once the price drops, that is.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Gusington

Thanks for posting - a slew of mixed reviews there.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

ACG seems to like it and and I really trust his detailed reviews...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Thanks bruh. I got some reviews to watch. I do think I will get this as soon as it cracks that 30.00 mark.

I have been generally good the last 4-5 years with new releases and being patient. Except for last week when Blair Witch was released. I was so psyched I bought it the day of release, for about 29.00.

Then it was available literally 24 hours later on Amazon for about 8.00 😒

...and it is not good :/

Anyway - Greedfall looks to have more promise.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 10, 2019, 12:13:37 PM
ACG seems to like it and and I really trust his detailed reviews...

I just watched the entire 23 minute review..and you're right. The reviewer gives it a "buy" rating. I will put it on my wishlist, and watch for more reviews.

Gusington

Greedfall has a 75% rating for the PC version on Metacritic as of last night and a 'Very Positive' rating on Steam. Lots of praise for the writing, some complaints about the facial animations and the animation in general.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

It looks like a modded version of the Dragon's Dogma engine.
Does that game have any relation to this?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

No relation plotwise, although I saw some Steam reviews saying Dogma is better as a game. So that explains the reference (I was a little confused to see more than one comparative reference.)

One of the middling aesthetic problems, is that while many areas are freshly well-designed, other areas are straight copy-paste with different colors and item placement. Everyone acknowledged this simply comes from having a small dev team, and shouldn't count against them.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!