Toys 'R' US Heading for Closure

Started by mirth, March 09, 2018, 09:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Yeah, I've got a 14-year-old with a girlfriend.  I end up dropping them at the mall all too often...

Fortunately the local one here (1) isn't that far away, (2) has a Barnes & Noble, and (3) has a bunch of pretty nice "living rooms" set up around the mall as seating areas for folks like me to just chill out in...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 10, 2018, 12:09:05 PM
Yeah, I've got a 14-year-old with a girlfriend.  I end up dropping them at the mall all too often...

Fortunately the local one here (1) isn't that far away, (2) has a Barnes & Noble, and (3) has a bunch of pretty nice "living rooms" set up around the mall as seating areas for folks like me to just chill out in...

Where you proceed to drain your phone battery playing 7 Wonders.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on March 10, 2018, 01:20:48 PM
Where you proceed to drain your phone battery playing 7 Wonders.  :-"

that or watching semi-professional steampunk fan-movies on my Kindle...

[yt]https://youtu.be/0RG0BO2P78E[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

I used to love it when I was a teenager. Spent hours going from dork shop to dork shop, oggling girls along the way. Now I do that on the internet where I can be a creepy lech in private.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I always thought if a smart company could put hot girls in charge of selling video games, they could rule the world. And not just the Nerd World either.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I worked for about three days back in the 90s as an overnight worker at a local Toys-R-Us, doing re-stocking and such.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 09, 2018, 03:55:13 PM
I remember buying many of my Amiga games at Toys-R-Us--- Red Storm Rising and Pool of Radiance to be sure.

I actually picked up RSR, and the first Madden Football, for C64 in the same shop I bought my tabletop wargames and RPGs as a kid in the '80s. 

Would only go there once or twice a month while visiting.  Something that always stuck with me was the car accidents I'd often witness when going in or out of that specific store.  Never happened at other places I was dragged on shopping sprees, as a kid.  Loud bang-up fender benders on the street out front.  Dunno how many times that happened when I was walking in or out, but it was at least three.  Screeeeech-BANG!  :o 

Always glad I didn't have to cross the street there.  That place must've been like a Mad Max movie.  Wasn't a bad neighborhood, though.

Wish I could remember the name of the hobby store.  Was gone a long time ago, IIRC.

Steelgrave

I bought Avalon Hill's Midway, my first wargame ever, at Toys 'R' US. After that fateful purchase, TRU was the first place I checked for wargames afterward, snagging Third Reich, Panzer Blitz and a helluva lot of my AH collection from there. When my boys were, well, boys, we were stationed in Wichita Falls, Texas when they opened their first TRU. Nothing would do but what we were there when the doors opened for the first time. The aisles were packed, and we learned afterwards that little store in little Wichita Falls had set an opening day sales record for the entire company.

Sadly, I'm as responsible as many for Toy's 'R' Us closing their doors. Online shopping is simply too easy for someone like me who doesn't really like to shop. I probably haven't been into a TRU more than twice over the last 4 years. I hate to see them go, and I would sincerely promise to be a better customer if they kept their doors open....but I probably wouldn't :P

BanzaiCat

Same here, bought my first wargame at a TRU, too - Luftwaffe.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

No worries- he'll just move on to Build-a-bear.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys