Fly the Friendly Skies

Started by mirth, April 10, 2017, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Look, they say "fly the friendly skies". They don't say anything about what happens on the ground.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MikeGER

they asked for 4 volunteers and nobody gave up his seat

why didn't they just made an auction? ...like $50 cash to collect at the United counter for the first one who give up his seat and then up the ante in 5 $steps until they had 4 volunteers together 

OJsDad

How about not purposely over booking flights. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: MikeGER on April 10, 2017, 03:21:45 PM

why didn't they just made an auction? ...like $50 cash to collect at the United counter for the first one who give up his seat and then up the ante in 5 $steps until they had 4 volunteers together 

They offered $400 and a free hotel room and then upped it $800 plus the room. Nobody volunteered for either offer. Then they decided to randomly yank four people off the plane. Supposedly it was so four United employees could be on the flight.

Epic stupidity from a PR standpoint. The press release after was a total fubar.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

DoctorQuest

Quote from: OJsDad on April 10, 2017, 03:24:35 PM

And cut into profits? Sure, right......
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on April 10, 2017, 03:38:17 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on April 10, 2017, 03:21:45 PM

They offered $400 and a free hotel room and then upped it $800 plus the room. Nobody volunteered for either offer. Then they decided to randomly yank four people off the plane. Supposedly it was so four United employees could be on the flight.

Epic stupidity from a PR standpoint. The press release after was a total fubar.

Such as it is.

Response to United Express Flight 3411

April 10, 2017

"This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United. I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation." – Oscar Munoz, CEO, United Airlines 
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 10, 2017, 03:42:35 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on April 10, 2017, 03:24:35 PM

And cut into profits? Sure, right......

Cleaning up this mess might cut into profits  :uglystupid2:

mirth

mirth

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 10, 2017, 03:45:01 PM
Such as it is.

Response to United Express Flight 3411

April 10, 2017

"This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United. I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation." – Oscar Munoz, CEO, United Airlines 

An improvement over this:

"Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate." United added in a later statement: "We apologize for the overbook situation."

Steelgrave

So dragging a man who has done nothing other than not give up the flight he pre-booked and paid for is now "re-accommodating". Well, that's putting a birthday candle on a pile of dog $hit for certain.

trailrunner

Starting tonight I'll be spending about 11 hours on United planes to get home.

If they're overbooked and force me to spend another day here in Kauai, I'll be heartbroken. Just heartbroken.

bayonetbrant

make sure you get a hotel night and vouchers if they do
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

And don't skip the beat down.

Gusington

I am flying United next month...to CHI too. I better start training.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd