Star Wars Battlefront II - PC

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 12, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

A story about a backlash about the game's supposed pay to win: Inside the huge consumer backlash against Star Wars Battlefront II

"This week, the video game's publisher faced a massive consumer revolt over accusations that Battlefront II encourages competitive players to "pay to win" — not to mention accusations that the game's monetization scheme amounts to gambling for kids."
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 18, 2017, 04:39:52 PM
You can't kill the Ewoks. 

I've tried.  A lot.
That's pretty annoying. Of all the things I'd love to kill in a Star Wars game...
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2017, 03:58:59 PM
Tell us more  :dreamer:
Just what's been said really. They've very much captured the Star Wars world. And it looks stunning to boot.

I'm having an absolute blast with it - pun intended.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

It even got a large topic in a mainstream consumer program on the Dutch TV last night :

https://kassa.bnnvara.nl/media/379398  (dutch language)

Local gambling authorities in the Netherlands, Belgium and the UK have started investigations into gambling in games.

They believe that games include matchmaking algorithms that put a few regular gamers in matches with other gamers who have premium items or weapons, forcing them to buy these with real money if they want to be competitive.

They also seem to conclude that when you can sell in game items outside of the game it should be considered gambling (demanding of the game company to get a gambling licence and putting even more warnings on games).

However, It doesn't look as they seek to ban this kind of 'marketing'.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

He's not a happy bunny.

It has to be said - asking people for real money for "random" shit is a pretty poor showing.

I spent "in game" currency on a couple of loot crates yesterday and was pissed off that I had Victory Poses and duplicate cards!! And that wasn't real money!
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Well, finished the campaign last night for a total of 6 hours of game time......overall I don't think there was anything fabulous about it, but I will say I did enjoy playing it which was the most important thing.  It seems if your a Star Wars fan its well worth it, others may not think so much.  If the only thing you play is single player, some may question the value of $60 for it, but hard to judge until we see all the additional content that may come.  If your into multiplayer and you get over all the loot stuff (and/or EA continues to modify it), definitely seems like it would be worth it.  At some point I likely will dabble in it, even if I completely suck could still be fun running around the Star Wars universe.

For me, no regrets although I do wish it was longer and far less linear....very story driven but a decent although predictable story.

Its my only second game that I have completed a full campaign, with the first being the Sniper series....

JudgeDredd

My daughter completed the game in about the same time and her exact words were "Is that it? Finished? You don't get alot for your money, do you?"

Can't argue with that.

I've restarted the campaign - I got to a point and then decided to let my daughter play it. I'm very much enjoying it, but agree with AJ that the "turn" seemed very quick and rushed. Overall, enjoying it though.

The game looks amazing and has very much captured the Star Wars universe.

My daughter is enjoying playing the online stuff...especially the space battles.
Alba gu' brath

acctingman

I'm as big a Star Wars fan as you'll find, however, after reading this thread and watching Joe's review, EA can eat a dick.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: acctingman on November 26, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
I'm as big a Star Wars fan as you'll find, however, after reading this thread and watching Joe's review, EA can eat a dick.

ok

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MC

Quote from: acctingman on November 26, 2017, 12:47:26 PM

Well this thread petered out.  :D

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MC on November 26, 2017, 10:40:11 PM

Well this thread petered out.  :D

Seems a bit limp doesn't it?  Doesn't have the thrust it used to.

Maybe when there's new news from EA it'll rise to the occasion. 

As for me, I'm going to keep pushing through.  After enough friction, something's bound to come out eventually.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Well, in the afterglow of Thanksgiving, EA gave one or two flaccid responses today. 

They acknowledge there's an issue with the rubber banding and constant jerking, and they're going to rub that out in the future. 

As to the progression system?  They did mention it was being reevaluated.  Hopefully they'll get more rigid in their response soon and we'll have an acceptable climax to the situation.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback