DnD 5e

Started by BanzaiCat, January 17, 2017, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

God help me, thinking of joining a local group doing D&D 5e. I haven't RPG'd in 27-something years.

Bison

Do it and then bitch about the lack of descending armor class, to hit tables, simplified saving throws, and the lack of the brilliant 2e THAC0 system.

MetalDog

I've DM'd my daughter and some friends for almost a year now with 5e.  It's pretty simple stuff and really enjoyable. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

They seem like a good group of guys, all about my age, and we're going to meet at a local gaming shop. One of them, strangely enough, I might know in a roundabout way through my older theater days a few years back.

Anyway...I got some readin' to do. I was thinking of a Monk. Always wanted to play something simple without armor and HtH ability. Seemed like a challenge. And an awesome character if they can get high enough level.

Bison

In all seriousness, 5e is the best edition of D&D post TSR.  As MD stated, the system overall is very simple.  The monk is probably one of the more "complicated" classes, but it's not too bad once you understand how ki power works.

One of my favorite characters from the olden days was my monk.  It took several attempts at playing monk characters before I go one over level 3.  However, D&D 5e. is really favorable toward not killing player characters. 

BanzaiCat

Now I HAVE to buy some dice!

I mean, I probably have some somewhere around here, but thpfft, who cares? DICE.

Bison

Hehe.  I love dice. They may very well be my ultimate nerd fetish.

BanzaiCat

Looking on Amazon I can get six sets of freakin' polyhedrals for eleven bucks.

A far cry from my first set of dice...those things were six bucks for one set back in the day.

Bison

Umm...who makes them?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 08:23:03 PM
Umm...who makes them?

Outee? Never heard of them but they're 4.5 stars out of five on Amazon for this product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5MS7KE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bad reviews say they're cheap pieces of crap and unbalanced, but the positive ones (majority) say they seem well balanced and are good. We'll see I suppose.

Bison

I never seen them in person.  I'm sure that they would work well enough.  Or for $24 you could get 18 sets of dice!  18!
https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Splitter-Polyhedral-Complete-Included/dp/B01FRQI6CA/ref=lp_13543780011_1_1?srs=13543780011&ie=UTF8&qid=1484703042&sr=8-1

I'd also just poke into the FLGS and check out what they have there too.  I'd bet Chessex.  Chesses really does make a good dice even if I complain about them sometimes mostly due to my poor rolls.  :)  They have some really cool colors.

BanzaiCat

I always wanted to do that scoop o' dice thing I saw at the conventions...when I was going to them.

18 sounds grand, but I'm pushing it with 6...LOL. I can't wait. I've not played D&D since 1990 but I did play a lot of Fantasy HERO back in 1991/92, before I met my wife.

Coincidence? Why, yes. Yes, indeed.

I actually liked the HERO system a lot. 5e should be interesting.

Bison

You'll be buying more dice at some point.  It's an inevitable outcome of joining a rpg group. 

Bison

Did you pick up your copy of the Players Handbook yet?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 08:42:16 PM
You'll be buying more dice at some point.  It's an inevitable outcome of joining a rpg group.

I ALMOST joined a Shadowrun group a month or so ago, but I opted out in the frenzy of signups. I kind of like it but I'd rather play something a bit more familiar paper-and-pencil-wise.

And f*ck that ASMR shite on YouTube. I watched about 15 seconds of one of the dice ones and was annoyed as hell. Don't get me wrong - there's something EMINENTLY satisfying about hearing dice getting juggled and clinked and rolled, especially on a soft surface. I grew up with my grandparents teaching me Backgammon and I still like the sound of dice inside the lined leather cups in that game. But damn, I can't sit there and listen to someone doing it on purpose. Strange.