Which RPG? Vote!

Started by Nefaro, January 17, 2017, 03:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

No obligations.   Pick three that look interesting to you!   

I'm doing this just to see where tastes lie regarding setting & system.  Want to plan a casual play-by-forum thing in awhile. 

<:-)

Note:  The two FFG games with custom dice (Star Wars & WFRP) may be troublesome without a dedicated client, or extra software, so those are iffy but I'll commit further research into what's needed if high on the vote list.

Bison

Uh...you forgot some variant of D&D.  That is pure heresy!

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 03:09:51 PM

And Star Trek, and Gamma World, and Traveller...  #:-)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 03:09:51 PM

Nope.  Intentional.

No D&D at all, here.  Weaned myself away from that old crutch quite awhile back. 

Trying new things, getting out of the old ruts, and enjoying what I'm seeing.   :coolsmiley:  Figured us old dogs could prove them wrong & learn something new.  :dreamer:

Bison

I've moved in the opposite direction and moved back firmly into the "roots" of role playing.  Mostly OSR, D&D, and D&D 1e.  I also have a line on a set of OD&D plus supplements in excellent condition.

JasonPratt

I think I'll pass, but I'll be glad to read along with the results!  :notworthy:

Trivia note: a friend of mine, author Marie Brennan, has been involved in the authorship of Legend of the Five Rings role-playing material recently.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 17, 2017, 03:55:55 PM
I think I'll pass, but I'll be glad to read along with the results!  :notworthy:

Trivia note: a friend of mine, author Marie Brennan, has been involved in the authorship of Legend of the Five Rings role-playing material recently.  8)

AEG's 4th Edition was reportedly wrapped-up in the past year.  I think they put out an Atlas book for it, at the same time saying "bye" since FFG just got the license for the IP. 

I managed to grab a used 4th Edition Core book a couple years ago, along with a new 'monster manual' equivalent.  It's interesting stuff, and the books are quite beautiful.  Would be a bit awkward getting accustomed to running the setting as a GM, even though it's fairly light on rules "crunch".  What with the "honor" principles to take into account.  But the setting definitely has some off-the-beaten-trail appeal.

Nefaro

Testing dice rollers-

QuoteDice Roll

2 successes, 2 advantages, 1 triumph, 1 Dark Side on a roll of 1 Ability, 2 Proficiency, 3 Difficulty, 1 Boost, 1 Force

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12

[blockquote]Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11[/blockquote][blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 1, 1, 2, total 4[/blockquote]

BanzaiCat

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2017, 08:06:24 AM
Paranoia!

Not so, if they're truly out to get you.

That's one RPG I never explored.

bbmike

How did you get the symbols in the dice roll? Is that included in the dice roller forum feature?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

QuoteDice Roll

2 successes on a roll of 2 Ability, 1 Proficiency, 1 Difficulty

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on January 17, 2017, 04:04:10 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 17, 2017, 03:55:55 PM

AEG's 4th Edition was reportedly wrapped-up in the past year.  I think they put out an Atlas book for it, at the same time saying "bye" since FFG just got the license for the IP.

Yeah, she was working on it the past year, but I don't recall if she helped finish the AEG material or was helping start the FFG material. She's a big fan of 5R, though, and her first two published books (originally called Doppelganger and Warrior and Witch, now called Warrior and Witch respectively though I think the duology as a set is still DG) are set in a fantasy-Japanese milieu (with a mix of European medieval).

(TOR and other publishing companies have gone on to publish a lot more of her books since then, about one a year.  :smitten: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on January 18, 2017, 09:38:34 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2017, 08:06:24 AM
Paranoia!

Not so, if they're truly out to get you.

That's one RPG I never explored.

Paranoia is well worth a read, even if you never, ever play it. It's VERY entertaining and completely sick.