Main Menu

Gundam?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Oh, so it's based on that anime with the kid with the crazy hair and the table strapped to his forearm which he deals dice that kids roll and try to hit small monsters so they can "capture" them and sell them into slavery.

mirth

I tried watching Robotech the other day on Amazon Prime. Man, that show does not hold up well.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I never got into it and I tried also to watch Robotech last year, but I couldn't get into it at all.

Star Blazers doesn't hold up well, either, at least not to me. I really liked Space Battleship Yamato though...great movie.

JasonPratt

I thought Robotech held up fine -- better than I expected -- when I picked up the full collection a few years ago. Well, the Macross Saga parts; the other two parts (from two other anime) I had never seen before, and they didn't hold up well at all. But I persevered and got through them, just to see how well the adapters brought them into the Macross Saga parts. (Surprisingly not much needed to be done; just a few lines here and there. Elegant "angulation".)

Star Blazers, yeah, first season especially can be rough, although I cobbled together two feature length animated films out of season one for the nieces a couple of years ago. That artificially made things flow a bit better.

Random amusement: Star Blazers / SBY correctly (by accident) guessed that Pluto not only had (frozen) seas but enough atmosphere for (sort of) blue skies!  :o

The second season runs better, partly because they based it on a single theatrical sequel film that they just added some plot filler to (and a happier ending). The TV movie and other animated theatrical films (through "Final Yamato") are... variable. Season three between the latter two theatricals, whuf. Doesn't help that the old English dubbing team was long gone and the replacements aren't as good (or as numerous so lots of the same voices in other parts.)

Modern Yamato film, trying to start another sequel series after the "Final Yamato" movie -- I've got, but I don't much like it. Looks great tho.

The live-action film from a few years ago? -- a few pacing problems, partly based on how they chose to end it, but otherwise impressive. The nods to modern Battlestar Galactica aesthetics were nice (including the diving warping battleship), considering Galactica (and even Star Wars) borrowed somewhat from the original series.

The modern season one reboot series looks great, but while I understand some of the plot changes (especially so that the series as a whole is more cohesive and less episodic and randomly bad science), I didn't like it as much as the old 1974 series for some reason I can't pin. I really should like it more. The plot differences after the first 1/3 aren't always paced well I guess? I should rewatch soon and see if I like it better.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 12, 2018, 03:27:38 PM
Oh, so it's based on that anime with the kid with the crazy hair and the table strapped to his forearm which he deals dice that kids roll and try to hit small monsters so they can "capture" them and sell them into slavery.

...in fact, there are two animated seasons (and some related spinoffs) which are sort of based on the mobile suits being collectable toys that kids duel with!

So surprisingly, the answer is yes. Sort of.  :o :2funny: >:D

(And no, I haven't watched those two seasons and don't care to. But the "Gunpla" back in Japan makes alllllll the money for the franchise, so I don't blame them for spending a couple of seasons producing stories of that sort.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

So which Gundham is seven-zark-seven in?

JasonPratt

He was only in some American non-canonical eps where they battled over some planets.

Gotcha, man.  :D

BanzaiCat

I think my favorite episode of Gundam is "Transformation" where civilians are trying to normalize their life aboard the mobile battle fortress. Roy Fokker is a badass, especially when they invade Zeon territory to fight the AEUG.

JasonPratt

That needs some quote marks
next to Patrick Stewart's head
assigned to Gandalf.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2018, 06:49:37 AM
I think my favorite episode of Gundam is "Transformation" where civilians are trying to normalize their life aboard the mobile battle fortress. Roy Fokker is a badass, especially when they invade Zeon territory to fight the AEUG.

Roy Fokker? Wasn't he in Robotech?!?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

See prior post. (And
insert enough syllables
here for a haiku.)

JasonPratt

iirc that
Robotech episode had
underage shower.  :o