Are There Any Games Where Harassment and Skirmishing are Viable and Useful?

Started by Cheimison, November 01, 2017, 12:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Another game system that can pay dividends on harassment and skirmish, albeit at the tactical level, is the classic Panzer General engine -- but it depends on the version you're using. I have specifically in mind the Fantasy General adaptation and its spiritual remake (with a very different story) Fantasy Wars + Elven Legacy. While you can't mess with the enemy's supply line, a lot of other harassment and skirmish tactics can apply, from light cavalry, relatively weak air power, and skirmish infantry. The FW/EL updated system adds special abilities for unit types, which can be tailored by the player as units level up, to 'grow' different specialty combinations for unit types, so one squad of skirmish infantry might be invisible long-sight scouters with strong defensive/survival abilities who rush in to cut off weakened retreating enemies, while another squad of the same type might be trained to work its way quickly around the flanks of an enemy through its zone of control and normally inaccessible terrain, to provide initial close-range barrage strikes softening up the target before your heavies bring the hammer down.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

On the tactical side, I am impressed with the value that skirmishers have in Field of Glory II

On the strategy game side, Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece does a great job of depicting supply sources (mostly farming areas), and skirmishing to disrupt the enemies use of that supply.  The Peloponnesian War scenario is particularly good in this aspect.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Cheimison

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 09, 2017, 07:08:49 AM
On the strategy game side, Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece does a great job of depicting supply sources (mostly farming areas), and skirmishing to disrupt the enemies use of that supply.  The Peloponnesian War scenario is particularly good in this aspect.
Hegemony Gold is a pretty awesome game overall. It's funny how much like Alexander: Total War the Better Edition it is.

Surtur

Might I suggest our game Oriental Empires? Especially in early game looting and harassing can do a world of hurt! We did a long multiplayer game where I kept one rival small by constantly harrassing and looting.

"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"