Main Menu

Need new headphones

Started by Martok, December 13, 2014, 01:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Any suggestions? 

Not looking for anything fancy, just something with decent sound quality and won't crap out on me after less than 12 months.  Also, comfortable would nice.  :)   

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

There's some nice Skullcandy ones that my wife got at Target that she wears every day for work that cost around $30.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Does it have a microphone as well?  I don't use it often, but every once in a blue moon I need it. 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Staggerwing

I have a nice USB set I got from Newegg. It's a Rosewill RHM-6308 (Rosewill is their house brand) and it has nice sound. The only annoying thing about it it the fierce blue power light on the on/off/volume dongle thing part way down the cord. I keep meaning to get some electrical tape to cover it because it is harsh at night. If you get a USB set remember that you can't use it with regular stereo plugs on other devices and that it might use it's own sound processor instead of your sound card (which is good if you have a crappy card or laptop).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Martok on December 13, 2014, 02:23:53 PM
Does it have a microphone as well?  I don't use it often, but every once in a blue moon I need it. 

no - she doesn't ever need any
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

I got a nice pair from Sony on Amazon a year ago for around 25.00. Good headphones and comfy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Martok, I recommend Steelseries Siberia v2 headset with mike - great sound, sensitive mike and the most comfortable headset that I have ever owned! A bit pricey but you will never need another set.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Size-Gaming-Headset/dp/B005LUVLRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

Ooh, nice!  It even has an adjustable volume control on the cord, which is one feature I definitely have to have.  O0 

One question about it, though:  Does the volume control go the full range?  I ask, because last week I'd purchased a set of (cheap) headphones from Best Buy, only to discover the volume control only went from "loud" to "really loud"...  >:( 

Bison

I never thought I'd spend this much money on a headset, but after going through 3 sets of cheapo's over the course of about 18 months I figured I'd give a more expensive pair a go and got these about over a year ago at Best Buy.  I love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Gaming-Headset-Technology/dp/B00CQ35C1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420227874&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+headset

W8taminute

Got me this for my PS4 and the clarity is amazing.  It's not cheap though but highly recommended.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Shelldrake

Quote from: Martok on January 02, 2015, 01:13:13 PM
Ooh, nice!  It even has an adjustable volume control on the cord, which is one feature I definitely have to have.  O0 

One question about it, though:  Does the volume control go the full range?  I ask, because last week I'd purchased a set of (cheap) headphones from Best Buy, only to discover the volume control only went from "loud" to "really loud"...  >:(

The model I have lacks the integrated volume control so I can't answer your question.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

BanzaiCat

I can't recommend Skullcandy headphones - we bought a set for each of our kids last Christmas (2013) and they both lost sound in one headphone four to six months afterwards and broke completely a few weeks after that.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Shelldrake on January 05, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 02, 2015, 01:13:13 PM

The model I have lacks the integrated volume control so I can't answer your question.

My bad - checked last night and my set does have an in-line volume control. Goes from dead silent to quite loud (not rock concert loud but certainly loud enough for gaming).

Dean Edell

Martok

Thanks Shelldrake!  Sounds like this is definitely one I need to take a closer look at. 

Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2015, 02:46:19 PM
I never thought I'd spend this much money on a headset, but after going through 3 sets of cheapo's over the course of about 18 months I figured I'd give a more expensive pair a go and got these about over a year ago at Best Buy.  I love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Gaming-Headset-Technology/dp/B00CQ35C1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420227874&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+headset
(Gah.  Somehow missed this post earlier...) 

Bison, do you happen to have any idea if these work with XP in addition to Win7?  (I have to ask, since my hard drive is split between the two OS's.)  If so, this is another one I need to look at getting. 

Bison

I would think that yes they do work with XP, but I don't have that operating system to test it on.  The nice thing about Best Buy is they have a fairly lenient return policy, so if they didn't work you could take them back without issue I'd think.