Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us

Started by Gusington, June 03, 2018, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I did not know where that epic quote came from but it is just sample of some of the worst written lines in video games ever.  :2funny:

https://bit.ly/2stUkTU

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

The version of it that was used in the Total War games was even less idiomatic ("All your bases are belong to us").  But I doubt that phrase was original to Rome:Total War and as it was probably already part of game culture. It didn't really fit in Rome because it was out of place and too heavy-handed as parody (and if anything, Ptolemaic Egyptians probably had a better command of languages than anyone else).

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Senex

It's definitely older than Total War Rome.  I heard it back in the console days.
Apparently, its first  appearance was in a bad Japanese-to-English European release of the MegaDrive game "Zero Wing".

SirAndrewD

Can't see what Gus originally posted, but yeah, All Your Base wasn't from Total War. 

The phrase originated in the very poor English translation of the 1989 Japanese Sega shooter, Zero Wing. 

It became one of the earliest memes when someone made a musical remix of the phrase in 2001 and posted on Newgrounds..

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^That's the game referenced in The Chive. Until now I had never heard of it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 04:17:55 PM

Gotcha, your link was showing not found for me.   You missed the boat man, that was a happening thing to share in AOL chat in '01.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

There were other memes, mostly now forgotten, from that intro as well, such as "He set us up the bomb!"

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

^For Great Justice!

I still say "What you say?" when I ask my wife to repeat something.

DennisS

I have a bright blue t-shirt with "All your base belong to us."

I have another t-shirt that says: "I roll 20's!"  ... this one gets me laughs when I wear it out and about, almost always from folks half my age!

Michael Dorosh

Spoiler: Leeroy Jenkins isn't a real guy.

mirth

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 04, 2018, 10:31:04 PM

Spoiler: Leeroy Jenkins isn't a real guy.

Wha?!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I've waited years for Michael Dorosh to make a funny and this is it?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Philippe on June 03, 2018, 03:44:20 PM
The version of it that was used in the Total War games was even less idiomatic ("All your bases are belong to us").

You want a real Total War meme?

~~>

Sir Slash

Mattell Intellivision had the first talking game stuff I remember. B-17 Bomber-- a distinctly southern, "That was... OWN TARR-GITT"!  "Fighters, -O'clock. Watch Em". and when a flak round hit too close, "That was close"! Funny as hell at the time.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.