"Six Days in October" -- Game Time Is...

Started by Cyrano, October 15, 2016, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Game Time Is: 1100 Hours, 13th October 1806!

Heck of a thing.

You take a couple days off and have to plow through your e-mail pile again just so you're clear as to what everyone had in mind.  A real discipline this!!

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

While we're waiting for Cy to come back from vacation, I've been setting up a four-player forum game of Fire in the Lake (strategic Vietnam war), which I'll be hosting on Tabletop Simulator -- but just using that to track the players, and reporting back to the forum using snapshots of the 'table' and some text reports. In other words, you won't need TTS nor to schedule a 'meet' time with me to play your turns.

ArizonaTank, Banzai_Cat, and I, have already started a test-run of initial turns. I'm taking the opportunity for some Absolute Newbie tutorial posts starting here, although tracking AzTank's first move (as the United States) starts here with a continuation of my tutorial attempt.

Once we get past my tutorial efforts, things will move a lot faster, but I wanted to help novice players (like myself!) be able to try the game, or at least try to understand what anyone else is doing and how and why!

Anyway, we're still looking for one or possibly two more definite players to join in. I'll take a fourth player slot if absolutely necessary -- not grudgingly because I do want to play, but I'm trying to stay out in order to eliminate conflicts of interest since I have total control over the game functions and presentation.

Jomni and Panzerseast have both expressed interest, but neither has made a definite statement of joining, so anyone more certain that you want to play will get added.

(We may or may not continue the game we've started for test purposes, depending on whether players want other factions, and maybe on any issues that arise from tweaking the process -- I've already had to reboot a turn due to my forgetting that certain pieces should be flipped over before game start, for example, although I caught that early and so no damage was done to a player's efforts. Right now player order is being set first and then factions randomly assigned as they come up for play. Az got the United States, and Banzai has been assigned to the Viet Cong. The Army of the Republic of Vietnam, and the North Vietnamese Army, still remain, probably to be assigned in that order. The NVA player will have to deal with AzTank having seriously nuked your bases on his first turn!)

Here are the two current map halves for reference (after Az's move but before Banzai's):

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 04, 2017, 10:56:14 AM
While we're waiting for Cy to come back from vacation, I've been setting up a four-player forum game of Fire in the Lake (strategic Vietnam war), which I'll be hosting on Tabletop Simulator -- but just using that to track the players, and reporting back to the forum using snapshots of the 'table' and some text reports. In other words, you won't need TTS nor to schedule a 'meet' time with me to play your turns.

ArizonaTank, Banzai_Cat, and I, have already started a test-run of initial turns. I'm taking the opportunity for some Absolute Newbie tutorial posts starting here, although tracking AzTank's first move (as the United States) starts here with a continuation of my tutorial attempt.

Once we get past my tutorial efforts, things will move a lot faster, but I wanted to help novice players (like myself!) be able to try the game, or at least try to understand what anyone else is doing and how and why!

Anyway, we're still looking for one or possibly two more definite players to join in. I'll take a fourth player slot if absolutely necessary -- not grudgingly because I do want to play, but I'm trying to stay out in order to eliminate conflicts of interest since I have total control over the game functions and presentation.

Jomni and Panzerseast have both expressed interest, but neither has made a definite statement of joining, so anyone more certain that you want to play will get added.

(We may or may not continue the game we've started for test purposes, depending on whether players want other factions, and maybe on any issues that arise from tweaking the process -- I've already had to reboot a turn due to my forgetting that certain pieces should be flipped over before game start, for example, although I caught that early and so no damage was done to a player's efforts. Right now player order is being set first and then factions randomly assigned as they come up for play. Az got the United States, and Banzai has been assigned to the Viet Cong. The Army of the Republic of Vietnam, and the North Vietnamese Army, still remain, probably to be assigned in that order. The NVA player will have to deal with AzTank having seriously nuked your bases on his first turn!)

Here are the two current map halves for reference (after Az's move but before Banzai's):

SPAM!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Cyrano

I turn my back for one damn minute...

Game Time Is: 1200 Hours, 13th October 1806!

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

dom

undercovergeek

Quote from: Cyrano on January 04, 2017, 10:16:23 PM
I turn my back for one damn minute...

Game Time Is: 1200 Hours, 13th October 1806!

When does the shooting and stabbing start?

Cyrano

I am constrained in what I can say at the this time -- umpiring's great limitation -- but I can say that some men lie dead upon some field some where.

It has happened.

And probably not so much by stabbing as I tend to be one of those (recently re-provoked in this matter by Doug) who believes Napoleonic combat in the open field almost never came down to the bayonet.

JasonPratt

Stonewall Jackson in the Nappy wars would have been epic.  8) "Give them the bayonet!" being one of his key pieces of command advice.

Cyrano

Game Time Is: 1300 Hours, 13th October 1806!

The dispatch pile does not shrink...

Cyrano

Game Time is 1400 Hours, 13th October 1806

Learn of him:

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Hatricvs

Ok...we surrender!  Well maybe not quite yet because there is always time for another CHARGE!

Thanks for the video link....really interesting indeed.