Looking for solo wargame suggestions

Started by Bamilus, July 03, 2019, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamilus

Apologies for somewhat long post (tl;dr at bottom). I'm a computer wargamer looking to branch out a bit. I've played almost every computer wargame released since 2005 and I'm looking for a solo boardgame, preferably Vassal but physical is fine as long as it doesnt take up a room. I have the Matrix World in Flames and it's a good game but pretty massive for solo play:

Criteria are:
-Vassal
-Strategic level
-This is the biggest one: has unique mechanics that are not done well or non existent in computer wargames.  Political/diplomatic stuff intrigues me. I'm not looking for just a glorified hex pusher games since there a million of those I own on PC.
-Any era is fine but prefer WW2 whole globe or PTO (no ETO).
-Map and unit density: in the Blitz, Cataclysm, T&T range.

Possible games I've thought of but would appreciate feedback:
1. Churchill (not hex but interesting mechanics)
2. Trump and Tragedy
3. Cataclysm
4. EOTS
5. AE Dai senso
6. Absolute victory

Tl;dr - board game noob looking for (preferably Vassal) solo strategic game with medium level unit density/complexity that offers some unique mechanics and gameplay that cant be easily replicated by traditional computer wargames. WW2 Global or PTO preferred.  Thank you!!!

Phantom

You could try Fleet Commander Nimitz (PTO if you hadn't guessed!) which is for sale as a Vassal version of the boardgame of the same name. Several very good video reviews/playthroughs (one by Stuka Joe if I recall) that will give you a good idea if its what you're after. It plays non historically (though the OOB's are historical) which may cause concern for some, but it is a game and as its also solo you really need non historical possibilities otherwise you can't be surprised by the AI.
Hope that helps.
regards