IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

BOX has better organic feel of flying a prop aircraft.  Each BOX aircraft has unique characteristics.  The graphics are better and performance is better, and the effects / animation are better in BOX.  The default SP Campaigns are better.  There's too much carry over from DCS modern in the WWII aircraft, like the lame stall and black out effect.  The stall effect seems so much better in BOX, then when enhanced with VR and force feedback, it's been described as amazing.

Destraex

I may have to find a way to try it again. But when I compared them the flight model in DCS felt a lot better and more tactile as well as me really enjoying the clickable cockpit aspect. I just love pressing buttons and seeing them move and work. Understanding what I am doing. I am very visual like that when it comes to mechanical things.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on July 25, 2018, 12:14:55 AM
Skip no I have not played it lately because of my ears. But your point goes to my point about tank crew. Put infantry in and you probably have me. As for il2bx being better than dcs for ww2. Can you explain why in detail without referring just to the sheer amount of content they have pumped out?

For me at least, the sheer amount of content in BOX makes it by far the best WWII fighter/bomber simulator.  All the WWII planes in DCS are late-war classics whereas in BOX you get a nice early-mid focus (eg, P-40, Spitfire Vb,  109E-G, A-20B) and of course CLoD is very early war.  It would be nice to get an early war-mid war mediterranean focus some time (P-40B for example), but at the moment for me BOX is a lot more interesting than DCS for WWII planes.  Something like a less-gamey-obsessed War Thunder was out there (covering Swordfish to Meteors, but as planes not as game features) that would be the sort of thing I would like best.

Stryker07

ATAG is doing a med sim with the CloD engine. It's got the usual suspects, and F model 109s.......and the P-40C, P-40E and the Martlet/F4F. Those last 3 have me sold tbh, and it's fairly far along in development. They have a section in the BoX forums all to themselves with a recent (July 6) update on the state of the game.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

MengJiao

Quote from: Stryker07 on July 25, 2018, 08:38:05 PM
ATAG is doing a med sim with the CloD engine. It's got the usual suspects, and F model 109s.......and the P-40C, P-40E and the Martlet/F4F. Those last 3 have me sold tbh, and it's fairly far along in development. They have a section in the BoX forums all to themselves with a recent (July 6) update on the state of the game.

Looks pretty good:

Aircraft
Gladiator II Cockpit 3D work and import is complete. The Vokes filter (for use in desert conditions) has also been added to the External model.
CR-42 Cockpit 3D work is complete, cockpit import and animation is now underway. External model 3D work for bomb racks also complete.
Bf-109E-7/E-7NZ External and Cockpit 3D modelling is nearing completion. Drop tank modelling for the E-7 and F's is complete.
The Me109F 3D work is mostly complete and texturing work is now underway (covering F1, F2). Import of an Alpha F-1/F-2 with placeholder Cockpit & Textures is in-game. Ultimately it will have high resolution textures as per the Bf109E. The F-4 3D cockpit/external will take longer due to 3D cockpit differences and the 3D modelling of the underwing gunpods.
Wellington IA cockpit, turrets, and bombardier positions 3D work are now complete. Wellington IA/IC front and rear Turret 3D work is complete and imported in game. Wellington IA/IC Cockpit/bombardier positions are now awaiting commencement of the import process following completion of the CR-42 import. Note, the IA and IC had different bombsights so the bombardier positions are different. Wellington IC external model waist gunner positions 3D modelling are awaiting assignment although we are unlikely to expend effort modelling a mannable gunner position as players are unlikely to use it.
Hurricane IIA/IIB/IIC (and Trop versions) external 3D modelling is complete and is now being prepared for import. Cockpit 3D modelling requires some details. IID external 3D modelling is underway.
Spitfire IIB 'B' wing external 3D modelling is underway and should be completed within the month.
Spitfire V external 3D modelling for Trop version is in progress. Due to the differences in the wing there are a huge number of rivets and panel lines to move.
Dewoitine D.520 cockpit 3D modelling is almost complete. External model 3D work is nearing completion with the LOD modelling complete.
P-40C external 3D modelling is nearing completion. Cockpit underway.
P-40E external and cockpit 3D modelling is maturing nicely and not far off being completed.
Martlet III external and cockpit 3D modeling is mostly complete and the LOD's have recently been completed.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

They released a few more planes for early access for Bodenplatte today.  I took up the P-47 for a quick flight (and shot up a train.  It kinda had it coming)

So......many.....gauges....

Die train!

Cut that a little close....

Jarhead0331

So, how does she fly?

I've so far held off on Bodenplatte, but with the release of these American fighters it's getting harder and harder to stay away.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

Feels right.  Take off and landing was a breeze (took a lot of runway to slow down though).  I was able to push the engine pretty hard and never got close to overheating unlike the Soviet planes.  Felt a bit slow and had poor acceleration but handled well.  Very heavy and pick up speed very quickly in a dive.  I nearly put it in the dirt on my first couple of strafing attempts. Haven't tried a dogfight yet.

Dammit Carl!

Lotta verbage on that dashboard.  In a past life, I'm fairly certain I killed myself lawn-darting one of those things as I just focused on reading all the warning tags and whatnot in front of me. Lol.

Beautiful stuff there.

Apocalypse 31

I just picked up BOS in the Steam sale.

I'm late to the party, but wow! Goodbye DCS! BOS actually feels like a proper game with it's missions and campaign and not a click-pit simulator.

Now, if only they would venture into modern flight, I would have a reason to uninstall DCS forever.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 23, 2018, 11:06:05 AM

Same, with BoMosc, too. No extra planes yet. Might get the Soviet Airacobra...? But I'm mainly thinking of playing the Axis. Any suggestions? (I know the freight hauler campaigns are supposed to be quite the different experience.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Flew the new planes over the holidays.  Love the new p47 but it's a pig for down low dog fighting.  I was far more leathal in the spit mark ix.  Also the 109k that was released with the p47 maybe the best all around fighter in the game.  It's now my best axis plane.  Supposedly the p47 is supposed to own at 20000 feet, but in online dogfight no one ever flies that high.

Yskonyn

Heh yeah probably because 9 out of 10 dogfights end in a descending scissors. :)

I might have to poke my head into the BoX franchise, but how's the spread of aircraft that are flyable? Only lend-lease / captured western aircraft or do the(mods?) games also feature western or desert front missions?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 23, 2018, 11:06:05 AM

I'm late to the party, but wow! Goodbye DCS! BOS actually feels like a proper game with it's missions and campaign and not a click-pit simulator.

Now, if only they would venture into modern flight, I would have a reason to uninstall DCS forever.

My goodness. You really seem to hate DCS, your not just mad at them for the ww2 entry they made but also want to get away from their jets. But why?
I do agree though, BOS is defo more aimed at the experience of war and making it easier to get into. It's more fleshed out and really seems to be pumping flyables out quickly.
I generally for my tastes like sims that I don't have to strain too much (un-naturally so) to see enemy A/C in and am more interested in visceral flight (including clickable cockpits) than the "role playing war" side of things. DCS ticks both of those boxes.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"