What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Alexander the Great by Philip Freeman was also very good. Just started Ghost on the Throne by James Romm, on the Alexandrian Succession Wars.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Ghost on the Throne was good but complicated - I enjoyed Alexander the Great more.

About to start The Poison King - The Life and Legend of Mithradates by Adrienne Mayor.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Just finished, "The Battles and Campaigns of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest" by Brig. Gen. John Scales. A very good book about Forrest's Civil War record, not so much about the man himself, with assessments of his tactics and operational abilities as his experience increased during the war. It even includes step-by-step directions to almost all of his battles and campaigns if you're ever near the Tennessee/Mississippi/Alabama area. I enjoyed it greatly.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Finished Guadalcanal Diary.  First time I've read it since junior high.  I bought a kindle copy of Vietnam Diary by the same author for less than $4.

Gusington

I just downloaded the Kindle app and my first book for it...Lord have mercy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Since my current job has me working on Navy systems, I figured this book would be appropriate.  I also think I got it for free on my Kindle.  Sort of looks like an modern version of Red Storm Rising, which I read almost 30 years ago.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: trailrunner on May 25, 2018, 06:45:14 AM

Since my current job has me working on Navy systems, I figured this book would be appropriate.  I also think I got it for free on my Kindle.  Sort of looks like an modern version of Red Storm Rising, which I read almost 30 years ago.

Enjoyed that one a great deal. The author has some short fiction about future war out as well through Naval Institute Press.

BanzaiCat

^ Thank you much for the heads up on that. It's free for Prime members.

bbmike

trailrunner, I can't remember, do you work in DC? There was a DC thread here somewhere about maybe a DC Grogheads meetup.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

trailrunner

Quote from: bbmike on May 25, 2018, 05:46:47 PM
trailrunner, I can't remember, do you work in DC? There was a DC thread here somewhere about maybe a DC Grogheads meetup.

I live in Springfield and work at the Pentagon.  I don't remember seeing the thread here about a meet up, but I'm set for this weekend.  I'm doing the DC Conscripts ASL Human Wave in two weekends.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2018, 09:45:52 PM
I just downloaded the Kindle app and my first book for it...Lord have mercy.

:o Christ, Gus, as someone with equivalently low impulse control in buying games and books, allow me to warn you away from that a little too late!

:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on May 26, 2018, 01:23:38 PM
^Have mercy!

I have horrible impulse control on purchasing inexpensive history books.  I have enough now that I probably won't be able to read them all before I die of old age.  But they are so hard to turn down.

I'm slowly reading The Sleepwalkers about the origins of World War 1 and it is amazing.  I know a lot more about the Balkins in the late 1890s to 1914 than I ever did, which is really interesting since I've been to most of those countries.  I got that book for either $1.99 or $2.99. 

They keep piling up.  Then Pete Dero gives recommendations for history books that are even free - which sucks away even more reading.  I'm about 25% through "Never Say Goodbye" which is a story of a couple of people during WW2 prior to combat.  And it is interesting.

Guadacanal Diary for $1.99.  Reread it for the first time in 45 years.  Then bought Vietnam Diary for less than $4. 

Every single history book written by Walter Lord excepting the one focusing completely on the North Pole expedition.

I could go on, and on, and on.

Gusington

Please don't. I loved Sleepwalkers...I read a hardcopy of that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd