Brothers in Arms at GOG (and on sale)

Started by DoctorQuest, January 18, 2019, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 18, 2019, 06:35:35 PM
When I jumped over to GOG and plonked the games in my basket they price-adjusted to two-fiddy each, shebben-fiddy for all. Win!

Nobody ever listens to me.  :nerd:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2019, 06:53:56 PM
Just futzing around with the settings and no game from 2005 has any right to look this good.

That's DirectX 9.0C there, son!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

GroggyGrognard

Thank you for the heads up.

I may have to get this because the trip down memory lane alone is worth the price.

I fondly remember playing this with some fellow gaming buddies on the Xbox 13-14 years ago.  IIRC we played the first two BiA games on the Xbox--Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood. I recall our gaming group discussing how the BiA games were an innovative and challenging alternative to other "shooters" such as Call of Duty on the old Xbox. We really enjoyed the many game play aspects to BiA including skilled accuracy with weapons, the use of cover, suppressive fire, and flanking. At the time, it was a refreshing change.

Groggy

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Grim.Reaper

Actually re-bought the entire series during the steam sale....was pretty cheap like $5 or so.....still works good.

Sir Slash

I played Road to Hill 30 on my PlayStation 2 back when it first came out. Great FPS but hard as hell to win at, course I'm not that great at FPS-ing. I hope the jump to computer works better.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

No shooters for me - unless I'm using a real gun.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on January 19, 2019, 10:06:10 AM

That is decidedly less fun when people are shooting back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

And no 'Medic Kits' to heal you back to full health.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2019, 10:38:04 AM
Quote from: airboy on January 19, 2019, 10:06:10 AM

That is decidedly less fun when people are shooting back.

True - that is why I target tasty animals.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2019, 06:45:12 PM
Road to Hill 30 is the first one, correct? I should play that first?

Yes. Nothing technically carries over between them, except the story of the historical characters.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Both the Saboteur and BiA are photogenic snapshot producers, by the way.

Hint.

Hint hint.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Omigosh! -- I went to Steam to see if users had reported any problems on the second two games running, which they haven't. All games seem to run fine on Steam, any negative reviews aren't about that but about the 3rd game dumbing down the enemies a little too much.

Whereupon I discovered that I had never bought the second two games. (Well, I did, used, long ago, from NWS's store, but never installed them, and don't want to futz with Ubisoft now.)

Suspecting that Ubisoft's DRM might get in the way of the newer games, I hopped over to the GoG sale, and thought to myself, y'know, for a little less than the cost of buying 2nd and 3rd on Steam right now, I can just get all three....

....whereupon I confirmed the pricing bug ???!?!?! is still in effect! ALL THREE GAMES FOR LIKE $7.50 TOTAL!!

Instant buy. Uninstalled the Steam version. (Though who knows, maybe I can multiplay with my brother some day on two accounts, through GoG and Steam on different rigs...)

Gusington

^Yes I got all three yesterday for 7.50 from GoG.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

This is a game/series that I've badly wanted to like, but I can't seem to get into it.

I always start, get into the first mission or two. What kills it for me, is the horrible inaccuracy of the weapons.  I've played enough FPS shooters to know how to line up an iron sight on a baddy and kill him, but for some reason in this game it seems almost as if there's a random number generator like Morrowind rolling a dice to see if I hit when I'm otherwise lined up.

Let me know if you's guys's experiences are different.  This is a game I really want to work through, but after about an hour I've always had enough.  I know it's a good game, I just can't find it for myself.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs