Main Menu

Its Friday!

Started by paplan, January 18, 2019, 12:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on January 18, 2019, 09:23:14 AM
Lords of Waterdeep is one of my upcoming projects.  I have the board game and the PC game.

I'm handling Dash this weekend while the wife is at crafty class.  Puppies are not as time consuming as babies, but they are time consuming.  I'm also going to the Auburn-Kentucky BB game.

Game wise, I'm trying to finish up writing the Bataan scenario AAR.  I need to get back to Pillars of Eternity 2.  I also need to finish reading the Aggressors Ancient Rome manual so I can start that one up.

Let's see Kentucky go 0 for the State of Alabama!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Hofstadter

I got me Insurgency Sandstorm, and I love it, so I'm going to obsess over that.

Ive got an interview at an assessment for a train driver on monday, gotta prep for that, also I will have the house to myself on tuesday, so i gotta figure out what kinda cooking video I wanna do.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Gusington

Train driver = engineer? Cool.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Campaign Series: Middle East has been eating up most of my time, I actually think I like it better than the mainline JTS games (Squad Battles, Panzer Campaigns, etc).  It's a fantastically abstracted tactical game, and while the UI is still a bit unwieldy and the engine clunky to learn, I feel CSME gives you more nuanced controls over your forces compared to Squad Battles (for example, having air units at different heights above the battlefield, or having ground units "double time").  I welcome basically every change the game makes to the engine, like not having to switch infantry between standing and "on ground," and actually being able to assault a tile from multiple directions.  Overall, it feels like a great mix of the best aspects of Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns.

If I find the time, I plan on trying to learn Armored Brigade -- the videos I've watched look fantastic but I haven't quite found the rhythm of the game.

Also, not a wargame but peripherally related (sorta) -- I picked up Creeper World 3 on Steam after seeing the announcement of the latest 3D iteration.  This game is great fun.  It's a wonderful, unique blend between RTS and tower defense. 
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Welcome to the forum, btw!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Huw the Poo

Quote from: al_infierno on January 19, 2019, 10:49:15 PM
Also, not a wargame but peripherally related (sorta) -- I picked up Creeper World 3 on Steam after seeing the announcement of the latest 3D iteration.  This game is great fun.  It's a wonderful, unique blend between RTS and tower defense. 

I love the Creeper World series.  Such a weird world!  It's fun to think up creative strategies to beat each level, and it gives a very real sense of achievement with each victory generally being pretty hard-earned.  O0

JasonPratt

Unsure if this was posted somewhere else more obvious on the forum (it should be), but I joined some of the Grogs and some ex-patriats from ArmDrag for this last night...

If you watch, definitely click through to the YT page itself to watch the side comments in realtime, including Brant and Mirth. They are often rofl.  O0 :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Hofstadter on January 19, 2019, 02:33:06 AM
I got me Insurgency Sandstorm, and I love it, so I'm going to obsess over that.

Something about Insurgency Sandstorm is just a little "off," to me - but maybe I just need time to get used to it, per se.

IICptMillerII

Campaign Series: Middle East has been eating up most of my time, I actually think I like it better than the mainline JTS games (Squad Battles, Panzer Campaigns, etc).  It's a fantastically abstracted tactical game, and while the UI is still a bit unwieldy and the engine clunky to learn, I feel CSME gives you more nuanced controls over your forces compared to Squad Battles (for example, having air units at different heights above the battlefield, or having ground units "double time").  I welcome basically every change the game makes to the engine, like not having to switch infantry between standing and "on ground," and actually being able to assault a tile from multiple directions.  Overall, it feels like a great mix of the best aspects of Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns.

I very much agree. I really like the evolution of the JTS engine in CSME. Very excited that they are developing more titles that will cover the US war in Vietnam, the early years of the Eastern Front, and finally a Cold War gone hot in the 80s. The last title being my most anticipated. Too bad its still a few years out. A lot to look forward to though!

I recently got back into Gary Grigsby's War in the East and I've decided to try tackling the 1941-45 campaign after being inspired by some reading I've been doing lately. I've redesigned Barbarossa slightly in that my main effort is Army Group Center, and my main objective is Moscow. Army Groups North and South are essentially acting as flank guards for Army Group Center on the drive to Moscow. Easier said than done though. I've already had to restart once due to carelessness on my part. Round 2 is going better for me, but its no easy task. I do wish I had a better grasp of how the logistics system works, but some studying of the manual hasn't yielded any tangible results. I guess my subpar understanding of the logistical systems helps me roleplay as a German commander better though  ;D

Otherwise I've been playing a handful of PBEMs in Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 as well as working on a few uniform mods. Its all coming along slowly but nicely.

Hope everyone who has one is enjoying their 3/4 day weekend, and for those affected by the weather I hope you stay warm, preferably with some liquid assistance!

Rayfer

Quote from: IICptMillerII on January 20, 2019, 04:21:51 PM

I very much agree. I really like the evolution of the JTS engine in CSME. Very excited that they are developing more titles that will cover the US war in Vietnam, the early years of the Eastern Front, and finally a Cold War gone hot in the 80s. The last title being my most anticipated. Too bad its still a few years out. A lot to look forward to though!

I recently got back into Gary Grigsby's War in the East and I've decided to try tackling the 1941-45 campaign after being inspired by some reading I've been doing lately. I've redesigned Barbarossa slightly in that my main effort is Army Group Center, and my main objective is Moscow. Army Groups North and South are essentially acting as flank guards for Army Group Center on the drive to Moscow. Easier said than done though. I've already had to restart once due to carelessness on my part. Round 2 is going better for me, but its no easy task. I do wish I had a better grasp of how the logistics system works, but some studying of the manual hasn't yielded any tangible results. I guess my subpar understanding of the logistical systems helps me roleplay as a German commander better though  ;D

Otherwise I've been playing a handful of PBEMs in Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 as well as working on a few uniform mods. Its all coming along slowly but nicely.

Hope everyone who has one is enjoying their 3/4 day weekend, and for those affected by the weather I hope you stay warm, preferably with some liquid assistance!

I am very interested in how your WitE game plays out.  Keep us posted.  :notworthy:

Anguille

I've spend my gaming time on  Stellaris this weekend. Everything went well until around 2400 when my economy went crazy and i am losing on almost every ressources.... :tickedoff: Don't know why this happened. So for now, i still haven't finished my first game of that game but think that i am done with it. Most disappointing 4x i've played in years....so much potential wasted. Going to play the excellent Stars in Shadow with the new patch before i dive into Endless Space 2, Star Ruler 2 or GalCiv3.