Revisiting Grand Theft Auto V

Started by Jarhead0331, January 02, 2019, 10:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

GTA V came out in 2015 and it is a game that I periodically go back to, usually on PC. I'll play it for hours in spurts, and to be honest it never gets old. The game is a remarkable accomplishment. The world of Los Santos is so alive and diverse. The variety of people, objects, vehicles, locations, activities and the way the world reacts to the player is truly impressive. The scripting and voice acting is AAA across the board and there are so many times I find myself laughing out loud. The story line and the situations that the characters get into are over-the-top, but still totally believable and relatable. I'm really hard pressed to say anything negative about the title, and there are very few games I can say that about. It is so rare that a game lets the player explore the game universe freely, in a way that the player wants to, and then experience the manner in which the play style impacts the world and has consequences.

Even more impressive is the state of mods for the game. There are literally thousands of them. My favorite is called LSPD: First Response and it essentially turns GTAV into the best police simulator on the commercial market. Pick your department or agency, your uniform, vehicle, loadout, and then hit the streets. Perform traffic control duties. Pull people over, issue tickets, administer breathalyzer tests, issue citations, collect evidence, make arrests, go to court, call for backup, etc. etc. There is just sooooooo much to do. On top of the base system, add new vehicles, weapons, gear and outfits. The amount of things you can do with the mod are nearly limitless. Its just so damn impressive in every way. For a very brief period of time last year, the mods were shut down by Rockstar, or its parent company, but this was due to a potential exploit the mod software permitted with the MP system and a potential for malicious attacks on user accounts. However, Rockstar worked with the modders, worked out a solution to the problem and then permitted the mods to be re-released to the community. How many developers will do something like that?

Anyway, I know GTA isn't everyone's bag around here, but really...its frequently on sale and really should be experienced.

I give it my highest recommendation without any reservation. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I have never played a GTA title. But for that LSPD mod alone it sounds to be worth getting.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I picked it up on sale 3-4 months ago but still haven't played it much.  Took quite a bit of fiddling to remap all the controls for lefty types (enough buttons to rival a flight sim in this game!).  I occasionally fire it up, get frustrated with all the time it takes to log in, then I forget what I mapped the controls to and I go play something else.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 02, 2019, 02:29:47 PM
I picked it up on sale 3-4 months ago but still haven't played it much.  Took quite a bit of fiddling to remap all the controls for lefty types (enough buttons to rival a flight sim in this game!).  I occasionally fire it up, get frustrated with all the time it takes to log in, then I forget what I mapped the controls to and I go play something else.

...or you could use a gamepad... O0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Funny you bring this up.
I was just thinking about GTA V the otherday when playing RDR2. These two games are just so vibrant, so polished, so full of remarkable characters and little stories and so damn fun!
When I finish RDR's campaign I am likely going back to GTA to replay its campaign again.
I play them on PS4, so I miss out on the mods, but I don't really care; the stock games are just that great!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2019, 02:36:38 PM

I bought one....and I suck with it.  I don't know how people play with those things. 

Jarhead0331

^Hehe...they are an acquired taste, but I generally prefer these kinds of games with them.

This time around, i have been playing with mouse and keyboard...with the LSPD mod, there are just too many keys.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MOS:96B2P

This sounds really cool.  I had no idea GTA had this LSPD mod.  I've been following Police Simulator 18 on Steam but its 2019 now so................. 

I'm going to look into GTA with the LSPD mod.  Hope there are some u-tube videos of it.  Thanks for mentioning this. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on January 02, 2019, 04:41:46 PM
This sounds really cool.  I had no idea GTA had this LSPD mod.  I've been following Police Simulator 18 on Steam but its 2019 now so................. 

I'm going to look into GTA with the LSPD mod.  Hope there are some u-tube videos of it.  Thanks for mentioning this.

There are tons of  videos on the mod. The main website for it is here:

https://www.lcpdfr.com/

If you have any questions getting set up and running, don't hesitate to post or PM me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 02, 2019, 03:44:09 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2019, 02:36:38 PM

I bought one....and I suck with it.  I don't know how people play with those things.

That's funny, I am the opposite nowadays....although it may not offer the same precision, I find myself mostly playing games with gamepads...too much work setting up joysticks and keyboards:)

Gusington

GTA V on sale for 14.99 right now at Steam.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P

jomni

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Does this still require online activation (and rockstar social club membership) for single player ?