Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

My abject apologies to Tripoli. Hopefully I fixed that before anyone noticed.

The Militarists roll a Scenario card, and draw a 3rd red-text Faction card to Tripoli's hand. I've sent you a p-mail explaining its usage.

The two Militarists senators don't have enough Inf+Ora (+ no cash) yet to even possibly try persuading another senator to join them. And with no cash, their chances of picking up a knight as a minion are 1:6 equally, so I'll go ahead and roll that:

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Eh, no.

If Tripoli wants to shift his Faction Leader over to Julius for some reason, I'll allow it post hoc within a reasonable time frame.

Last then around the table, the Frog's Plutocrats roll!

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7[/blockquote]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

That'll be another Random Event, 3d6:

[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 5, total 15[/blockquote]

Erax

This was a very very good turn. Let's crush those two wars!

JasonPratt

:DD :2funny:

OMG, the Carthaginians SO BADLY want to give y'all a fleet, if only you'd expand a bit farther first!

But dang if they won't give you 25 more Talentons next Turn, to help you get there!

Surely this will not come back to bite them in the ass...  >:D

None of the Plutocrats' senators have any cash this Turn, since it all went to helping their new recruit Acilius get home (well, all but 3, but that's in the Faction pot). So unless the Frog wants to change his Leader away from Appius, his only remaining choice this round will be where he wants to send his knight if he rolls a 6:

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

JasonPratt

Close again, but no.

So unless the Frog wants to shift his Leader over to someone other than Appius, he's done for the Round, and we're done with the Forum Phase for this Turn. (And I'll allow a retcon choice within a reasonable time frame.)

Next up, I'll process the automatic Population Phase, and prepare for AzTank's Fabius to open the Senate.

JasonPratt

TURN THREE -- POPULATION PHASE
----------------------------------------

Not much to do this Pop Phase: corruption investigation doesn't exist yet; Tax Farming isn't threatened yet; nothing's in the Curia (though Coriolanus died there last Turn! -- which is going to help y'all a little going forward).

Unrest starts at 2, adds +2 for two Unprosecuted Active Wars (War outbreak always adds some unavoidable unrest, naturally), and another +1 for the Drought. New Unrest = 5.

Fortunately, the current highest ranking available officer is Fabius the Roman Consul, who has a Popularity of 2 -- thanks to him sponsoring a Land Bill to help the people out earlier (which also avoided two earlier droughts!)

3d6 rolls total 12, plus 2 Pop - 5 Unrest = 9 result to the State of the Republic Speech opening the Senate.

Fabius' speech, despite his popularity, only makes things worse, adding 2 to the Unrest, new total 7. This is starting to get a little serious! (Maximum unrest is 19, by the way.)

JasonPratt

With Fabius' speech, the Senate is now open, AzTank's Fabius of the Conservatives Presiding as Magistrate to start, as Roman Consul (and Pontifex Maximus).

Mandatory Business this Turn only needs to involve electing a new pair of Consuls, which can't be either Fabius or Cornelius of the Aristocrats again. Any other senator is eligible, including other Prior Consuls.

No need to elect a PontMax again, as he serves for life.

Keep in mind you've got two Wars on your borders this time, and only the Consuls can lead a Force to War.

Your non-Mandatory Business this Turn could include Disbanding any number of your Legions, but I'm going to assume that's a duh. ;)

Other non-MandBus could include Fabius assigning another priesthood to a senator (or re-assigning Fulvius' of the Plutocrats). I don't think it's possible for a PontMax to actively seek to resign his own office, so Fabius cannot Propose for his office to be stripped away (to be given to someone else by another Proposal.)

Obviously the most important non-Mandatory Business among the remaining valid options will be the question of Raising more Legions, and/or assigning a Consul to lead a Force of Legions against a War.

But first you've got to elect more Consuls.

Meanwhile, I'll be taking some State of the Republic snapshots for convenience.  O:-)

Erax

This is a good time to remind everyone that Camillus and Cincinnatus have special bonuses vs. the two wars we're facing.

Also JP check your messages.

JasonPratt

Erax notes that Wars only count as Unprosecuted if they're moved to that slot after having a chance to be Prosecuted; which I double-checked, and he's correct! This not only reduces Unrest by 2, it also reduces Unrest by another 1 (since I'm sure I added that for the 1st Latin War, too!)

This affects the Unrest Rolls retroactively, and I'll have to take some time to recheck those.

JasonPratt

The 1st Turn's roll would have been 15 instead of 14, so no change from "No Change". ;)

The 2nd Turn's roll would have been 13 - 2 = 11, so this time "No Change" instead of +1!

That means the current roll would have been 4 unrest down (-1 for no Unprosecuted Latin War, -2 for no Unprosecuted Wars this Turn yet, -1 for no added Unrest on Turn 2), or only Unrest 1 (due to the drought). 3d6 rolls total 12, plus 2 Pop - 1 unrest = 13 result to the State of the Republic. That's a No Change, and Unrest remains at 1.

My own Sabrerule compilation flowsheet was unclear about this, and I will make adjustments.  O:-)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on October 15, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
This is a good time to remind everyone that Camillus and Cincinnatus have special bonuses vs. the two wars we're facing.

True: they void Disaster and Standoff rolls.

Cincinnatus of the Aristocrats has a Mil score of 5, and would avoid D/S results for the Volscian War.

Marcus Furius Camillus, Faction Leader of the Conservatives, also has a Mil of 5, and would avoid D/S results for the Veientine War.

Manlius, Faction Leader of the Militarists, is only a family Senator so has no special anti-War abilities, but he does have a Mil score of 6 now, thanks to his knight! -- the Militarists always look for minions capable of handling headquarter duties.  O0

The only other Mil 5 senator right now is Julius of the Militarists (thanks to his HQ knight).

There are some Mil 4 senators floating around, too, which will be seen when I get to posting the updated snapshots. And even a Mil 3 senator might be handy for political reasons, for delaying the Volscian War while a more ass-kicking Force goes after Veiia.

JasonPratt

Okay, the current Player mats, from Player One around the table:

For ease of reference, here are the Wars again:

The Republic currently has 4 Legions Active, with another 3 possible in the Force Pool.

There are 66 Talents in the Republic's Treasury. The Senate could raise the final 3 possible Legions for 30 Talents, and have 36 remaining.

Based on currently expected incomes and expenses, you can expect the Republic to add an extra 27 Talents next Turn. (30 normal + 25 Allied Enthusiasm again - 2x4 Legions -20 Wars.) Obviously this will be affected by extra Legion expenses, or fewer Wars!

The ball is now in AzTank's court, to Propose two new Consuls. (Or to suggest some for preliminary discussion.)

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 15, 2018, 08:38:03 PM

Cincinnatus of the Aristocrats has a Mil score of 5, and would avoid D/S results for the Volscian War.

Marcus Furius Camillus, Faction Leader of the Conservatives, also has a Mil of 5, and would avoid D/S results for the Veientine War.

Manlius, Faction Leader of the Militarists, is only a family Senator so has no special anti-War abilities, but he does have a Mil score of 6 now, thanks to his knight! -- the Militarists always look for minions capable of handling headquarter duties.  O0

The only other Mil 5 senator right now is Julius of the Militarists (thanks to his HQ knight).

There are some Mil 4 senators floating around, too, which will be seen when I get to posting the updated snapshots. And even a Mil 3 senator might be handy for political reasons, for delaying the Volscian War while a more ass-kicking Force goes after Veiia.

I would like to mention, for the purpose of discussion, that preserving the Republic means a division of power.  Right now, the Aristocrats, Plutocrats, and Conservatives have an overwhelming vote count.  The health of the Republic would benefit by  increasing the political power of the other factions.  Giving the military leadership to any of these leading factions will only increase their power at the war's conclusion.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

malize

I think it'd be prudent to call up at least 2 legios from the reserves so we could have two armies (4 and 2)

While it'd be great to have a Militarist double consulship, the way things are I don't see how we can't use the personas that mitigate disasters in these wars.  Unless raw military input of the two militarists would offset the chances of disaster, not sure how those inputs all come together