Main Menu

Panzer Corps 2

Started by PanzerFaust, July 19, 2018, 04:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

besides looking prettier, any more enhancements expected?

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2019, 07:41:50 PM

I guess this is my primary reservation about Panzer Corps 2. The game is undoubtedly beautiful, judging by the screenies, but how is this sequel improving on the original (which was itself a pretty uninspired copy & paste of the original Panzer General / Pz General 2... and uncharitably, I'd say the same about Order of Battle...).

To me, the WW2 strategy game that really nails the sweet spot between accessibility and depth is the criminally underrated Unity of Command. I'm really looking forward to Unity of Command 2 -- one can immediately see how this sequel is taking the already excellent original to a new level:  https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2018/12/13/developer-diary-19/#more-2710  Can't wait for this one.

Apocalypse 31

1. Unity of Command is an amazing game and gets so many things right. I am looking forward to their next release.

2. I'm really hoping that we can go beyond WW2 with these games. Is PzC 2 just going to remake all of their campaigns over? Between Order of Battle and PzC, there's not much we haven't seen. Would be nice to see some other modern conflict.

Destraex

I agree. Looking forward to unity of command but Panzer corps while fun never really grabbed me. I do wish unity of command was WEGO as usual though. Otherwise you get to wait and see into the future one turn for free.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 05, 2019, 10:07:31 PM
1. Unity of Command is an amazing game and gets so many things right. I am looking forward to their next release.

2. I'm really hoping that we can go beyond WW2 with these games. Is PzC 2 just going to remake all of their campaigns over? Between Order of Battle and PzC, there's not much we haven't seen. Would be nice to see some other modern conflict.

This was my concern too....they just reskinning and then you have to buy everything again.  However, if it advances like Field of Glory did, maybe justifiable then.

airboy

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 05, 2019, 08:46:29 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2019, 07:41:50 PM

I guess this is my primary reservation about Panzer Corps 2. The game is undoubtedly beautiful, judging by the screenies, but how is this sequel improving on the original (which was itself a pretty uninspired copy & paste of the original Panzer General / Pz General 2... and uncharitably, I'd say the same about Order of Battle...).

To me, the WW2 strategy game that really nails the sweet spot between accessibility and depth is the criminally underrated Unity of Command. I'm really looking forward to Unity of Command 2 -- one can immediately see how this sequel is taking the already excellent original to a new level:  https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2018/12/13/developer-diary-19/#more-2710  Can't wait for this one.

In Order of Battle supply lines are vital.  You also cannot field a force mix that is hugely overpowered on armor.  Order of Battle also has a good Naval engine, especially for carrier combat.  Once OOB came out I stopped playing Panzer Corps.  Panzer Corps is pretty much completely beer & pretzels, low end beer and pretzels. 

Beer and Pretzels games are fine, are a great way to get people started in the genre, and good for a relaxing relatively thought free wargame.  But having supply as a nonexistant issue is a bummer.

For those interested in unity of command, you can pick up the original, expansions, and a steam key for $7.50 at:
https://unityofcommand.net/

Jarhead0331

My beef with Order of Battle is that it always felt too scripted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

I find it less scripted than a lot of wargames, but to each his own.

Gusington

I thought the original Order of Battle was too scripted, but I have bought the Panzerkrieg, Soviet-Finnish War and Sino-Japanese War DLCs on sale and am hoping for the best.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Apocalypse 31

Order of Battle has some great features like supply lines and fatigue, but I agree, that the stock missions are very scripted and it ruins the gameplay for me.

I have started messing with the editor and its pretty easy to make a decent coop/sp missions - the AI is actually really good and can easily sting where it hurts, and pull back when necessary.

Shame about the crappy scenario design.

Gusington

^I have not checked lately, I wonder how many homemade SP scenarios/missions are available.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Quote from: Gusington on January 06, 2019, 04:43:44 PM
^I have not checked lately, I wonder how many homemade SP scenarios/missions are available.

Quite a few    http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=64990
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

The problem I found with Unity of Command is that the scenarios felt too much like puzzles. Just enough time to do A. If you tried to do B. you ran out of time. They felt like mad rushes instead of a battle of attrition. Other than that I thought it had a superb interface, something easier to accomplish of course for a fairly simple system.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

I thought exactly the same thing...I loved the game's slick style and interface but did not like it's puzzle like system.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd