[War in the East] Using historical strategies to win :)

Started by Pzrjager, April 16, 2018, 10:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzrjager

I kept getting my butt kicked on the Battle for Kharkov 1942 scenario in WitE. I read up the history for the battle on how the Axis won. Two things that stuck out to me: encircling the salient southwest of the Donets and bombing the Red Army to hell with the Luftwaffe.

Proceeded to do both and succesfully encircled the bulge :). You can see the encirclement in the yellow circle for both the historical map and my in-game save. I think experiencing history like this is what computer wargames is all about.

Now to deal with the rasputista...

IronX

Interesting! I rarely have any success when applying historical strategies to games. It usually backfires heinously.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: IronX on April 16, 2018, 04:43:32 PM
Interesting! I rarely have any success when applying historical strategies to games. It usually backfires heinously.

Yeah.  I prefer the "airdropping 200,000 paratroopers into Moscow" stratagem most of the time...

jomni

But... whatever you do in WITE, Germany loses the war.

Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on April 17, 2018, 07:53:10 PM

I assume you mean in the full campaign, not the shorter scenarios?

jomni

Quote from: Rayfer on April 17, 2018, 08:25:11 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 17, 2018, 07:53:10 PM

I assume you mean in the full campaign, not the shorter scenarios?

Yup. Scoring is different.

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 17, 2018, 05:25:30 PM
Quote from: IronX on April 16, 2018, 04:43:32 PM

Yeah.  I prefer the "airdropping 200,000 paratroopers into Moscow" stratagem most of the time...

So, the HOI4 method then?  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

Do you want the Steam links, or the direct Matrix (or Slitherine) links?

JasonPratt

OJsDad

Jason, I'm asking if the 2 games can be linked together. I.e. can outcomes in one impact the other
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Pzrjager

@jomni I've heard of people winning WitE as the axis in the grand campaign, although I've yet to attempt it myself.

@OJsDad I recommend getting a key on Matrix or Slitherine, which will also give you a Steam key if you register your Matrix/Slitherine key.

The two games can't be linked together, but I think the devs are talking about making a game linking the two in a future game.

Even doing a full campaign in one of the games is a lot to deal with though...

I'd like to do an AAR on this if I can manage a major victory. I got really close last night with a 1.9 to 1 minor victory. Goddam rasputista  >:(...

JasonPratt

Quote from: OJsDad on April 17, 2018, 09:25:22 PM
Jason, I'm asking if the 2 games can be linked together. I.e. can outcomes in one impact the other

Oh, got it. No.

What I've read is that GG has made WitW large enough that eventually they plan to remake WitE using the WitW engine so that a grand campaign can be played. They have no plans to link the two current games, which I think they regard as functionally impossible.