Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Waiting too...I just really started getting into HoI3 this year so I can wait until they at least get the initial bugs stomped out.
Insert witty comment here.

kludger

I will pick up a preorder key if we see the cheap $26 preorder keys available for HOI4 like we did Stellaris before they then went up in price.

I was never able to overcome the complexity of HOI3 so am hoping HOI4 will be more approachable to newbies/idiots like me.

Huw the Poo

Apparently Greenmangaming are doing a similar deal.  I don't know the details though.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: kludger on May 17, 2016, 02:55:55 PM
I will pick up a preorder key if we see the cheap $26 preorder keys available for HOI4 like we did Stellaris before they then went up in price.

I was never able to overcome the complexity of HOI3 so am hoping HOI4 will be more approachable to newbies/idiots like me.

You CAN overcome it. I did, and I also thought it was insurmountable. I have a thread around here somewhere about the odyssey.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2016, 03:05:52 PM

You CAN overcome it. I did, and I also thought it was insurmountable. I have a thread around here somewhere about the odyssey.

Agreed, I would load up HoI3, start a game and then just stare at the screen for a half hour before quitting cause I didn't know where to start. Marco Antonio's you tube channel is about 60% hoi3 stuff, I pretty much learned the game watching his videos. Note that English is not his first language and he can sound bored at times in his videos but he knows the game and systems unlike anyone I have seen
Insert witty comment here.

sandman2575

Honestly, unless you're super invested in mods like the Black ICE that really transform HoI3 (making it even more complex) -- I would just skip HOI3 at this point. HOI4 is going to feel like another universe.

My sense is -- the aftermath of HOI3 was a huge turning point for Pdox. I really think they did a 180-degree turn and resolved never to make the same mistakes again. Just look at HOI3, and then boot up the game they created after it, Crusader Kings II. It's almost like the games are made by different studios. And I think there can be no doubt that Pdox made the right decision. Continuing down the path of HOI3 -- lousy UI, horrific map, confusing mechanics and game concepts -- might have been fatal for the company.

HOI4 is going to be complex, no question. But I'm not sure investing time in HOI3 will in any significant way prepare you for the experience of what the new game is going to offer. The difference is going to be stark -- almost as stark as the difference between Crusader Kings I and CKII.

Just my $0.02.

bbmike

Bought! Now where's Vicky 3?  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

I agree.  I did the same.  I forced myself to sit down over a weekend and learn to play.  It was frustrating in the beginning and I had to start over a few times due to some mistakes I'd made, but then things started to click and I became more engrossed in what was happening on screen than I ever have in any other grand strategy or 4X game.  I started with France.  My thread on it is also buried around here somewhere.

As for the change in direction after HOI3, I didn't pick up HOI3 until very late in the dev cycle (after Their Finest Hour was released) so I didn't experience the issues others have pointed out.  Other than the weird Pacific War AI (well the USA AI in general), I don't have any major issues with the game.  I love it.   Conversely, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to CKII.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading some of the fantastic AARs written here and bought the game hoping to recreate the experiences others were having.  For whatever reason, the game just does not do it for me.  I keep buying the damned DLC thinking this is the missing piece but after 5-6 hours of play, I'm bored to tears and I shelve it again.

I want HOI4 to be great but I'm concerned they're going in the wrong direction.  If what I've read about teleporting bombers is true, that's a game breaker for me.  I'm hugely interested in the strategic bombing campaigns of the RAF and USAAF so if they've abstracted it too much, I would not be pleased.

GeneralHawk

+1 robot.  I love 3 with black ice and I am very concerned with some of the changes (simplification) they have out in place for 4. Over on the paradox forums there are battles raging over this issue.  For example they have removed fuel and oil is all encompassing but it doesn't impact units so that you can still produce and use armored/mech/motor units even if you have zero oil...that's just tip of the iceberg from what I gathered in some quick reading...
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

sandman2575

Guys, and again just my 2 cents, but I think all the hue and cry over HOI4 'dumbing down' the franchise are seriously overblown. This is not going to be an 'oversimplified' version of HOI.

I was as disappointed as anyone when it became clear that the OOB/CnC structure from HOI3 was getting ditched in 4. But overall I understand why they made the decision (essentially for the purpose of having a more competent AI). Although it's not what I would have preferred, I can live with this.

I've followed HOI4's development since the day it was announced (...over 2 years ago...) and I think if you look closely at the content of the Dev Diaries, it's pretty clear that HOI4 is going to have a highly sophisticated industrial / production model -- definitely an advancement over HOI3. I think the Battle Planner has the potential to be completely transformative for strategic / operational-level WW2 strategy games.

I loved HOI3 and put more hours into it than I can account for. With the expansions it became a great game -- a great but also very imperfect game, I think. There was so much room in a sequel to improve and streamline almost every dimension of the game. It's a tall order, but I think HOI4 is going to deliver on that.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it depends on what you're looking for out of the game.  I want on that focuses more granularity on the prosecution of the war, not less.  I want the OOB.  I want to micro my bomber raids.  If the had to abstract and streamline things, I'd have preferred to have them do it to the production side of things.  If I want to delve into that aspect, I can just play Making History.

Grim.Reaper

Interesting decision.....no brainer to purchase, but do I go full throttle and buy the Field Marshall version for $67?  Or just settle for a lesser version and pick up DLC/expansions later when they are dirt cheap during sales?  Such a decision....

kludger

Thanks for the input guys, maybe I will try watching some HOI3 playthroughs and revisit it if nothing else as prep for HOI4, maybe I will get over the initial hurdle this time.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Here's the link to my thread detailing my learning experience/AAR playing France.  There are some links in there that will hopefully prove helpful in learning the game.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6659.0

kludger

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 17, 2016, 03:05:40 PM
Apparently Greenmangaming are doing a similar deal.  I don't know the details though.
Yes you're right Huw, looks like GMG has it now for 25% off with code IRON25 (USD$29.99), and imperialgames too (USD$28.99) for the Cadet version. Pre-ordered from the latter and got the key immediately which activated on Steam already.

Looking forward to it.

And thanks for the link Robot, will definitely check it out.