[finished] Beliwyr Grogs (Dominions 5)

Started by Yskonyn, October 13, 2019, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Question: I wanted to check the provinces Ermor was claiming in an in-game text from several turns before. The only way I could figure to do it, was to re-load the trn file from that earlier turn, read the message and then re-load the current turn. Is there a better way to do this? A log or something?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on December 08, 2019, 12:18:52 AM
Question: I wanted to check the provinces Ermor was claiming in an in-game text from several turns before. The only way I could figure to do it, was to re-load the trn file from that earlier turn, read the message and then re-load the current turn. Is there a better way to do this? A log or something?

Not that I know of.  It's kind of frustrating but that's what I do too when I can't remember what was said a few turns back and I forgot to write it down in my notebook. 

On another note:

Vanheim declares neutrality in the current war between Agartha and Ermor.  We will however strike at the first sign of weakness displayed by either party.   ;) 

(after all you can't trust those Norse-men now can you?  They're always looking for someone to pillage)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Hmmm.. this scripting stuff for mages is interesting. I have never used it before. I can see that it might be essential for certain force mixes, but  it looks like it takes some experience to get it right. Well, no time like an all out assault on my nation to start experimenting! Charge!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

I'm still trying to wrap my head around scripting my mages.  This is the part of the game that if you can good a good understanding of you will do well.  The Dominions Mod Inspector comes in handy.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

solops

Sigh...News Headline: Agartha Slowly Sinks Into a Sea Of Blood. Investigations Demanded.  Other News: Bats Poop on Old Lady Rockhead's Salamander Pie.

Ajidica

Great Game everybody! You fought very well Agartha; and Vanheim had me very nervous in the last few turns as I was attempting a throne rush. I never quite realized how useful recruitable holy 3 priests are!

Once we have time to digest this game, I'd love to be in another. Perhaps have it in the Middle Age? Shinuyama looks like it has some fun toys.

W8taminute

Man that was a really good game boys.  I'd love to play another with you all and anyone else interested.  MA sounds good to me.

solops

I am interested. I know nothing of the MA Dom 5 stuff. After a quick look I'd say Ermor and Agartha look interesting. I need some time to do a little research. I hope we can get at least five and maybe a map with a little more room?
.......Hmmmmmm....this is....different.

Ajidica

Generally MA Ermor and LA Lemuria are banned from multiplayer games as they are cancerous population killing nations.

solops

Quote from: Ajidica on January 07, 2020, 09:40:10 PM
Generally MA Ermor and LA Lemuria are banned from multiplayer games as they are cancerous population killing nations.
Had no clue. Thanks. Maybe Ulm or Agartha or one of the new nations. Doing some research.

W8taminute

I've played Ulm before in single player and had fun experimenting with them.  They seem to have very powerful troops.  Ajidica told me that they also have very powerful forge mages that reduce the cost gem cost of items. 

I was thinking of taking them but if you want them solops then feel free to grab them.  Ulm is, IMHO, a good nation to play for beginners because of their good troops. 

I've also experimented with Tien Chi and Vanheim in the MA but if I might try something different.  I'd also like to suggest using a map with E-W wrap only.  I find the maps that have full wrap to be a bit confusing.

solops

I tried a couple of games. Vanheim casually crushed my Agartha in a 5 player game. My Ulm annihilated everything in another 5 player game. It is amazing how differently each faction plays. It is like a completely different game. It would seem that Ulm is a beast, especially in a short game, close quarters. If a game lasted long enough, their weakness to magic would be a leveling factor.They are a conventional economic/military powerhouse. That said, I had more fun losing with Agartha (becoming a tradition, that). Ajidica gave me some other ideas I am trying out.

W8taminute

Nice report solops. 

I've been playing around with MA-Vanheim.  They are a beast when it comes to expansion however I can't figure out what to do with them when fighting a multi-front war against other pretenders.  Spells are limited with them which means I can't counter stuff like poison cloud easily. 

That being said I think I won't go with Vanheim in our next game.  I'm going to play around with some of the other nations over the weekend. 

solops

Question: what difficulty/personality do you set your AIs on?

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on January 17, 2020, 01:41:41 PM
Question: what difficulty/personality do you set your AIs on?

I always just keep the default ai setting for both difficulty and personality.  To this day it still provides me with a good challenge but more so in the mid to late game.  I'm not ready to play against a harder ai as I still need to have the room to experiment and learn.