Main Menu

Netflix versus Hulu

Started by Bison, January 10, 2014, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Just make sure you get an HD antenna for over-the-air broadcasts so you can still get your local news.  And you'd be amazed what you get on the HD stations in your area, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Ok.  I'll need to look into an HD antenna too then for news and some sports.

eyebiter

GDS_Starfury

fwiw Ive never been a fan of Hulu.
60% of that is because of their setup.  40% is because of an unfortunate hula hoop accident involving one of my best men at my bachelor party at Cheetah Ft. Lauderdale.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

undercovergeek

I'm a Netflix fan.... and like steam as long as I have a net connection it goes with me... I've used my account in hotels, at my parents and on the iPad

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2014, 11:21:22 PM
Ok.  I'll need to look into an HD antenna too then for news and some sports.

You can make a DYI version that works just as well as one you have to pay $100 for.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Has Amazon improved their video player? I did a trial Prime membership a year or so ago to try the streaming service and I thought the video player was far inferior to the Netflix player. Also the search sucked. The free and pay video options were lumped together so it felt like I had to wade through a bunch of stuff I didn't need or want.

Netflix is a little more per month and you don't get the other benefits of a Prime Membership, but it's far easier to use when it comes to just watching movies and programs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2014, 11:03:42 PM
Cool.  I think I'll just go with Netflix.  Now just need to figure out how I want to stream it to the tv.  What's the device limit on Netflix?

Pick up a Chromecast. Only $35. Plugs into an HDMI port on the TV. Streams Netflix, Youtube, some other stuff.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Damn. Chromecast is only $30 on Amzaon. Time for me to get one!

mirth

Bison, this will give you a better idea of what a Chromecast does, beyond streaming Netflix to your TV.

http://gigaom.com/2013/12/21/chromecast-tips-tricks/

Bison

Interesting.  I'll look into it. 

Staggerwing

If you have an MHL-enabled HDMI port on your HDTV you can also get the Roku Stick, eliminating a box and power cord from your TV cabinet. It costs more than the Chromecast but comes with a remote.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3400R-Streaming-Stick-Purple/dp/B009CL6DUE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389460486&sr=8-2&keywords=roku+streaming+stick

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 11, 2014, 12:03:13 PM
Interesting.  I'll look into it. 

I have one on the way now. I can give you a review in a few days.

Bison

I'll need to look at my TV again, but it's 6 years old or so.  I'm pretty sure I'll need to go with something like the apple tv that uses an HDMI cable to connect and provide the WiFi connectivity.

Staggerwing

The Roku Stick won't work unless the HDMI port is MHL-compatible since the port powers the device. You can get adapters that have a power cord but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting a stick-device. Note that the Chromecast uses a power cord of some kind and that Amazon Prime isn't yet available on it without some fiddling and disabling Silverlight.