Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904 Naval Wargame

Started by totemgam, October 11, 2018, 07:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

This all makes me sad. Mostly because I would kill for a more accessible, less ornery version of Distant Guns. And Jutland, for that matter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

totemgam

All events in our new game will take place on this map.

jomni

em2nought

I like this water, it makes the ships stand out much better.  No sense spending all that time on detail if you can't see the ships for the water.  This game needs some Jap music for atmosphere  ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeI9mYP9cNw
Stolen elections have consequences.

totemgam

In the final version of the tropical sea will not.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

Quote from: Gusington on October 17, 2018, 09:36:01 AM
'Jap music'? Come on man. It's not 1945.

Was thinking the same thing.  My wife is half Japanese.  It is considered a pretty offensive term in certain context.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

em2nought

I guess I can't use Kraut either?   I'm tired of people being offended by what's trivial at best, call me anything at all.  I'm not offended.  Somehow I think all this being offended could have been curtailed if the very first offended person ever was told to just get over it.
Stolen elections have consequences.

RyanE

My wife was born and grew up in the US.  On my first date, we went into a movie theater and as we are walking down the aisle, a 20-something yelled out "Dirty Jap".  I went confront him and he then yelled out if I f*** her with chop sticks.  She pulled me back and said don't worry about, she has dealt with it all her life.  She still hears stuff like that 30 years later.  She has hardened herself against it.

My sons are a quarter Japanese.  One looks like me and the other looks asian.  We live in a very white suburb and he was ridiculed for his looks and that his mom was "Japanese".  He came home crying and hated going to school for the first 3-4 years of school.

A term like Jap might not mean much to you, but when you have cried yourself to sleep because parents won't let you date their sons because you are a "Jap", it starts to mean something.  When you are the only "Jap" in a town, in a school, in a class, in a group, it starts to mean something.  Let's stick your family in the same circumstances my family has endured, and let's see how your children like it.

btw, its not offense I feel, but shock and disappointment.  Shock that in this day, on this site, ignorance of some basic common and human decency.  And disappointment that a place I like to frequent is penetrated by the same ignorant individuals as my wife and family have encountered their whole lives. 

Saying the word "Jap" is a little shocking.  But that is why I said in certain contexts.  I was trying to maybe educate someone who just plain didn't know better.  But to have that followed by purposeful ignorance with no one else standing up and saying they thought it was wrong too makes me wonder at the complexion of this forum.  I am very conservative in politics, having grown up in the rural US.  But I have a hard time pushing back on liberals who scream racism as very turn when I see this happen on a forum.

Gusington

Jap is very different than Kraut and if you can't see the difference that's your problem. Have a nice vacation...if your attitude was a little better perhaps you wouldn't need one.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

RyanE my apologies. Em2nought is banned for 2 weeks. If he comes back and shows no signs of change the ban will be permanent. I hope this can somewhat alleviate your impression of the site.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: RyanE on October 17, 2018, 05:50:50 PM

...with no one else standing up and saying they thought it was wrong too makes me wonder at the complexion of this forum.  I am very conservative in politics, having grown up in the rural US.  But I have a hard time pushing back on liberals who scream racism as very turn when I see this happen on a forum.

Alright....slow your roll. If you're offended, then say so (like you did). Gus backed you up and was offended too. But just because the rest of us didn't pile on, doesn't suggest anything about the rest of it. Maybe we didn't find it as offensive as you do. I wouldn't use it, but If I'm not offended by it enough to post here, that doesn't mean anything more than that...or that we felt you had articulated your point well and admin would handle it

Edit: there...Gus deservedly banned him. I think we all understand why your offended but please don't generalize about the rest of us because maybe we weren't or didn't feel the need to add on
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

I'm suprised there aren't more Naval games in the 1870-1918 era. Just this and Jutland/distant Guns right?
Any transitional warfare era is awesome and has a lot of tactical
Possibilities. 1908 (or so?)- 1914 would tend to be a bit "line up and press fire" maybe...but late 19th century? Yay
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson