GOG.com - Close Combat Series

Started by CJReich46, February 06, 2018, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I played the demo for the Russia themed one and there was a little action followed by a lot of action all at once and if you didn't move your units fast they would be scraps and bodies. I remember having to click a lot to keep up. That's what kept me from buying but that was a long time ago when I was still a 'clicking noob'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

In CC3 the Stalingrad maps (especially the one centered on the Tractor Factory) were huge pains in the rear to play as the Germans. Easily the most challenging maps out of all of them except maybe for the Berlin one(s).

Sir Slash

Stalingrad sounds very familiar to me. That could have been the one from the demo I played.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 07, 2018, 12:06:23 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2018, 11:28:31 AM
These game were quite the click-fest back in the day. Are they improved any since then?

No, they're just the same pausible-order real-time wego that they've always been. ;)

(Maybe multiplayer is more clickfesty? -- I never played that so I don't know if players can pause the action for orders.)

Been awhile since I played any of them, but I don't remember them having a pause function in which you could issue orders.  Am I just remembering wrong?  Thanks.

JasonPratt

To be fair I haven't played any of them in at least 10 years, although I picked up at least one of the newer iterations on sale last Christmas. So I might be wish-fulfillment misremembering....  ???

I think someone talks about it in our review for Panthers in the Fog. When I get a link I'll post it back here.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ikrananka

Quote from: Rayfer on February 07, 2018, 02:50:36 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 07, 2018, 12:06:23 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2018, 11:28:31 AM
These game were quite the click-fest back in the day. Are they improved any since then?

No, they're just the same pausible-order real-time wego that they've always been. ;)

(Maybe multiplayer is more clickfesty? -- I never played that so I don't know if players can pause the action for orders.)

Been awhile since I played any of them, but I don't remember them having a pause function in which you could issue orders.  Am I just remembering wrong?  Thanks.

In CC2 pressing the option button does pause the game but you can't do anything other than change the options.  So useful for a comfort break but not as a means to issue orders etc.  However, in the options you can change the game speed between slow, medium and fast.  With the slow setting you get plenty of time to issue new orders to all of your units as the action changes.

Sir Slash

Thank you for that info. Clears up a lot for me.  O0

Gusington

Is CC3 worth getting now or is it too dated?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2018, 08:51:01 AM

I honestly don't know why someone would get that instead of the Matrix update Cross of Iron. (More mods for the old one that somehow didn't get ported over into CroI? Somewhat less expensive?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Solid-ish? It's still a Close Combat game after all, and only the first one that they updated.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Phantom

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 08, 2018, 09:30:03 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2018, 08:51:01 AM

I honestly don't know why someone would get that instead of the Matrix update Cross of Iron. (More mods for the old one that somehow didn't get ported over into CroI? Somewhat less expensive?)

Somewhat less expensive = one tenth of the price... I can see why someone would get it.

I like the fact that Matrix update older games, but I honestly don't think it justifies a 10x price hike for what seem to be some pathfinding tweaks & fixing the odd bug.

GDS_Starfury

CC3, the game that started my internet gaming life.    :smitten:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.