Battlefleet Gothic Armada II

Started by Gusington, January 24, 2018, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Has it been that long since the release of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada I??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skwerl

I can't wait!  I think the first one is great.

Gusington

More to be revealed from the developers next month, I've read.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

I can already hear the clink as the gold piles up in the GW vaults..........
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

I have nothing against the game, and I badly want to like it -- but the fact remains that I have played maybe three missions in the campaign, and never any farther.  ??? :-\

Sometimes the hot goth girl just... isn't worth courting after all, I guess? I am truly baffled why I can't get into the game.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

How the hell do developers keep releasing sequels which are basically built on the woes of people who supported the first game. I dunno. This is kinda like re-marrying 10 days after your wife dies. Feels wrong.

Jason I am the same as you. This game has everything one could want except WEGO and Z axis. But even though I liked the game their just seemed to be no point to playing it.
Still the cut scenes were nice. The game needed soul that gave me a reason to play. I found Battlestar Galactica Deadlock a much more engaging game.

I guess one of the main problems in BFG1 was that I just felt like no matter what I did their was no real way to gain an advantage and win over the enemy. In real time as well, I will admit, the game was very clumsy. I played coop with friends mostly you see, we did not pause.

I wonder if a sequel to Space Hulk Deathwing will be announced next week?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on January 24, 2018, 06:17:25 PM
How the hell do developers keep releasing sequels which are basically built on the woes of people who supported the first game. I dunno. This is kinda like re-marrying 10 days after your wife dies. Feels wrong.

Very good question.

I kept checking scuttlebutt about the first one, when it went on sale, as to whether it was in a good condition.  Expected complaints, but there were a fair bit of the kind I look for; the ones regarding leftover bugs and performance issues left over after the developers moved on. 

After numerous reports of the devs dropping patch development, I suspected they were going to be doing a re-release.

Rather glad I didn't buy the first one, now.  Something kept telling me to wait because this exact scenario - the quickly followed up (and fixed) sequel syndrome.

Destraex

It must be noted that the first one was a good game as 40k games go. COOP progression was good and a lot of fun. But once again, it just seemed useless at least in coop.
I always considered it inferior because of it's board game perfection philosphy whilst going real time at 100 miles an hour. But I did enjoy it just because there simply is no other BFG game out their and it did contain some nice customisation and options. They were just hard to use in real time. I don't regret getting the original.

The developers are Hungarian as I remember?

HoodedHorseJoe

I have to say I was kind of surprised by this, but it also makes sense.

I dabbled a bit in Armada back in 2016 - I enjoyed it, I liked how the campaign was set up, (and I hated the Orks) but like most games I just stopped playing for reasons.

Was a bit worried though when 2017 sailed by and literally nothing happened with it. I'd figured they'd abandoned development, but ploughing forward with a sequel instead does make sense if there's still faith in the core idea but a company is hesitant to put too much time and resources into fixing the original game.

It is a shame to leave loyal fans of the first game in the lurch, but by the same token I'm often up for buying a game in the hope that the sequel will A/ be approved and B/ be the game we actually wanted No. 1 to be.

I felt that way about Battlefront 1, although was ultimately let down by the looks of what's happened with BF2. >.<
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Geezer

I bought the first one but never really got into it.  Not going to buy this one especially since they have not updated the original since Nov '16.  At least now we know what they have been doing with their time, since it obviously wasn't supporting the first game.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Destraex

I enjoyed the first one for what it was. Will be watching though to see if this time around the game becomes amazing more than the first one was just a collection of ideas thrown together. I'd like to see the graphics improve and the game pickup some meaning especially when it comes to multiplayer. Z axis would be nice but I doubt that will ever happen. Which is strange considering this is real time and not a board game verbatim.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on January 24, 2018, 06:44:39 PM
I always considered it inferior because of it's board game perfection philosphy whilst going real time at 100 miles an hour.

But it introduced
a super-slo-mo button
as standard function...  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

I remain enraged that the iPad version of BG is significantly better than this.

I'll get it on sale -- I really can't not -- but the decision to make this continuous time and therefore far more fiddly than it ever needed to be was an immense mistake.  The iPad version is an elegant, faithful representation of the TT and the fact that its developers are blocked by this from bringing it to the PC (I asked them) really grinds my gears.

This follows the pattern of Blood Bowl in that they released, what, four versions it seems before finally getting it right?  If only we stopped giving them our money.

Never happen  ;D.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on January 28, 2018, 11:51:48 AM

The tablet version is great little game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tpek

Quote from: mirth on January 28, 2018, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 28, 2018, 11:51:48 AM

The tablet version is great little game.

Does it have a real replayability factor?
Especially for those that like hotseat battles?

And how is the RNG in the game? I've read it's even more broken (in favor of AI) than in most other games.